Speech-to-text is a real game-changer in many industries, mainly the education sector. Advanced voice recognition programs and apps are available now for computers, tablets and smartphones than ever before. Mistakes may occur which can be cleared using professional academic transcription services provided by experts. Transcripts and captions offered by such software are proven to help all students, particularly those with dyslexia, dysgraphia, vision impairments, physical disabilities, or other learning disabilities, with better information and higher engagement. Integrating speech recognition into virtual classrooms can enhance both the learning and teaching experience.
With such a technology, students can write more quickly while eliminating the barrier of transcribing thoughts while brainstorming. Video conferencing is an essential tool for teaching and the closed captions of these videos are of great benefit to students. They can also choose to write using voice.
Here are some speech-to-text software options for teachers and students.
Dragon Speech Recognition
Nuance Dragon Speech Recognition is an ideal platform for teachers and students to enhance the educational experience. This software transforms the classroom and helps students and teachers to express themselves, both inside and outside of the classroom. Students who struggle with writing can use Dragon to express themselves simply by talking. You can just speak and the words appear on the computer screen transcribing up to 160 words a minute, or use simple voice commands to conduct research. This software provides more detailed assessments of student work, ranging from papers through research projects to tests.
This software can also read back the transcribed text to ensure that the material is truly what the user intended to say. Teachers can quickly and easily prepare lesson plans and allows dictating three times faster than typing-with up to 99% accuracy. Communication can be managed more effectively by sending emails and messages to colleagues, administrators, parents and students, entirely by voice.
For students who require note-taking assistance for meetings, transcribing research interviews, lectures, or any other important voice conversations, Otter is an ideal option. This AI-powered software provides recording and synchronized speech recognition and can recognize the speaker, and integrates search and keyword extraction. Students can use this software to capture notes from group study sessions, and process public audio data for research purposes. This full-featured, user-friendly note-taking technology designed for the classroom can be activated via the mobile app or browser. It gives more control for users and educators can also access transcripts live that they record via Otter and choose to share. Users can create secure groups and highlight and edit shared notes together.
Education & Disability Needs
A one-stop-shop for all university transcription and captioning needs, Verbit provides perfect integrations and is an ideal solution for overall student engagement. With this reliable software, all students can participate effectively and benefit from real-time captioning of lectures and real-time transcription of sessions, which improves note-taking capabilities. Captions and transcripts are of help for students with reported disabilities as well as those with hearing loss. They can get 99% accurate transcripts and captions, adhering to ADA standards, and thus better engage with course materials. The software supports translation of all languages. Its TOGGLE feature allows attendees to choose how the live text will be presented in their web browser, whether to see the draft transcript as quickly as possible or see the corrected transcript a few seconds later. The speed view shows the text straight from the speech-to-text engine (ASR). With real-time CART solution, sessions can be scheduled within minutes in this easy-to-use online platform.
This artificial intelligence (AI) virtual assistant software for Windows PC uses natural language interface and speech recognition to interact with users. It allows users to interact with their computer using voice commands in most of the languages of the world. With this software’s human language interface, you can use natural language sentences to perform various tasks on their computer. This multi-functional platform is helpful for students, as it can
- read text aloud naturally and users can even select different voices and adjust the reading speed
- solve mathematics problems of Arithmetic, Trigonometry, Percentage, Divisors, Set Theory, Mathematical definition and more/li>
- quickly perform searches and find information about any person, place or thing from various online resources/li>
- serve as a dictionary and thesaurus by finding definitions, antonyms, synonyms etc. of any word/li>
Even though such software provides automatic transcripts, these need not be 100% accurate. To ensure better accuracy, make sure to get the transcripts edited by an experienced online transcription company.
The process of converting an academic audio or video file into text is called academic transcription. The two main aspects of good academic transcription are outstanding accuracy and excellent quality. Experienced transcriptionists at a professional transcription company can provide you with error-free and timely university transcription services. The academic transcript is useful for students, researchers, lecturers, authors, publishers, and others who are specifically related to the field of academics.
Why do you need academic transcription? It is proven that a student can increase his/her memory through reading an academic text. Through lectures, students can take in information and retain it in their short-term memory. To recall the information, transcripts of the lectures can be read and the memory refreshed. Transcription also enables those with disabilities to read and follow the lectures at their convenience. Last-minute preparation and “skimming” can be performed well only via textual formats. This is where academic transcripts become useful. Transcription experts can even transcribe cross-talks in an audio or video file format.
Here are the benefits of academic transcription:
- Helps in learning, and streamlining the research process.
- Saves time and help to improve focus on your work.
- Helps students to keep track of their group projects.
- Students can simply record the lectures and look over the content in detail later.
- Helps those who have trouble following the lecturer’s speech or accent.
- Help to ensure that you don’t miss any important points discussed.
- Beneficial for universities as they can record and upload transcripts of lectures to their site for non-attendees.
- For students who have chosen English as second language, academic transcription helps them to digest the content by spending more time on the transcripts.
- Helps people who have problems with hearing.
- Very useful for the professional research community.
- Helps educators to plan lessons/lectures.
- Transcripts provide quick and simple study material.
From this, you can understand how beneficial academic transcription can be for the educational process. It helps both lecturers and students streamline their studying, notetaking, and homework processes. Transcriptions can be done on your own with the help of transcription tools or apps, but chances of errors are there and careful proofreading may be required. Assistance from a professional academic transcription service can help you save valuable time, improve content accuracy by removing errors, and also improve language as they do proof-reading, translation, and copy-editing. With the transcripts, students can focus on their classes more and retain more information, and make the learning process more efficient.
For high-quality university transcription services, you can depend on an experienced and dedicated online transcription company that offers the best transcription services. You can record lectures, seminars, and other events and send them to the company. They will convert the audio or video recordings into accurate, well-formatted transcripts that you will find very useful.
Writing an academic essay involves putting ideas into a coherent format to support an argument. Academic transcription services help students and researchers to convert audio or video recordings of interviews into text for use in essay writing and research papers.
Most academic institutions make writing an important part of their curriculum. Essay writing is considered as a measure to evaluate a person’s writing skills, thinking capacity and way of expressing thoughts. When it comes to essay writing, students often face problems in organizing their ideas and thoughts.
Essay writing can also be difficult if you do not have a clear picture about what you are going to write. Students often find it difficult to come up with information that they need for the essay. So they have a tendency to plagiarize and resort to copying from different sources to get things done quickly. This usually happens because students do not understand the concept of plagiarism and why it is wrong to plagiarize.
If you have taken something from another person’s work, make sure to give credit to the writer. Here are 8 tips to prevent plagiarism:
- Talk to your teacher: It is always good to discuss things with your teacher before you begin your essay. This will save time and help you get a clear idea about what is expected in the essay. It is also important to ask your teacher if you need to include an in-text citation as well as a reference page.
- Don’t forget to paraphrase: If you wish to use someone else’s work, it is important to give due credit to them. When you are using a sentence from another person’s work, paraphrase it, but make sure the original meaning is not lost when you reword the phrase. You can reframe the sentence in your own words to make it your own work.
- Use quotes if possible: Remember to quote the statements if you are quoting someone word for word. It is quick and easy to quote and also makes sense when you are writing. Using quotes avoids plagiarism.
- Add your own style: If you get any information from any source, don’t use all of it. You should try and add some of your value to it to by including your own thoughts and insights. This will improve your clarity of writing because you can add your insight to an essay only after you have done thorough research and understood the subject properly.
- Mention the sources correctly: It is important to mention the sources from which you obtained your information. Before you begin your essay, make sure that you are clear about what you need – this will help you to mention the source correctly.
- Add a reference page: Adding a reference page to your essay will help avoid plagiarism. When you begin your research for the essay, start adding references simultaneously to your reference page. Don’t keep the reference page for the end because there’s a high chance of missing out something.
- Use a checker: It’s good practice is to use a plagiarism checker once you have completed your article. There are many online plagiarism checkers that can help you to check plagiarism.
- Make sure to proofread your essay: Proofreading is an important way to avoid plagiarism. It is important to proofread your work. It does not take much to look over your essay and double check that you have written down all sources used correctly.
Students often make use of transcription outsourcing services to convert recordings into error-free readable format. With the support of an experienced academic transcription service provider, students can focus on writing valuable, informative essays.
Academic research can be intense, stimulating and rewarding. It involves a lot of intense study and writing, including conducting interviews and lectures. Many students rely on an academic transcription service provider to get their audio files converted into text. Presenting the finished work at academic conferences is an important part of a researcher’s journey.
Conferences allow researchers to showcase their project to the academic community and also give them the opportunity to learn a great deal from others’ research. The experience can prove very helpful in preparing for graduate school and also to make valuable contacts through networking. However, many students find presenting at conferences a daunting prospect.
Here are some tips to overcome anxiety and make a good presentation:
- Learn the style of conference presentation: Different conferences have their own unique style of presentation. Academic conferences involve speakers presenting slideshows and narrating their materials. Conferences, especially in the humanities, need speakers to write ahead of time and read the paper aloud to the audience. But it is difficult to hold the audience’s interest when you are reading out your paper to them. Using an effective conference presentation method is the key. A good PowerPoint Presentation can set you apart. Doing your research well on the conference’s expectations is the best way to present in the right format.
- Tweet about the conference: The most difficult part of an academic conference can be keeping pace with the social interaction. Twitter may be a controversial platform but it provides conference attendees various opportunities (studybreaks.com). Large conferences usually have multiple, simultaneous sessions, and live tweeting the sessions can help those who have missed a session catch up. You can engage in topic on Twitter to learn more about the topics even after the end of the session. Twitter also allows you to find people who share common interests easily, which can be difficult in large conferences.
- Improve engagement with gaming: It is quite natural to feel awkward during a large conference and gaming is a good way to overcome this. Many conferences have gaming facilities. Besides allowing attendees to discuss topics related to the conference, gaming antics can open up subjects for discussion. Gaming is an excellent way to make new friends and interact with communities outside of the conference.
- Reduce costs by taking free food: Most academic conference offer coffee breaks and pastries, as well as at least one banquet dinner. Make use of such free food facilities. Many institutions provide funding for students to attend conferences, but these are usually restricted to graduate student presenters. Even with funding, they will need to pay up-front and submit for reimbursement later. Checking out the opportunities for free food can reduce costs of attending the conference.
- Take breaks: Make the most of the paper readings and discussions, but take time off when you are tired. Get away from the crowds – explore new places and relax.
Academic conferences provide opportunities for graduate students to meet many scholars and researchers in their same field. To participate in academic conference, you should have a good research thesis. Academic research needs to be formatted in a systematic approach. It requires data from various sources to be systematically organized, transcribed and documented in proper format. An experienced audio transcription service provider can speed up the process by saving time spent on compiling data.
Qualitative research involves capturing audio or video recordings of interviews, focus groups, etc. and getting these converted into text format with the help of an academic transcription service provider. Once the data is in written form, it can be analyzed. However, there are many steps that you need to successfully complete before you reach this stage.
The first step in writing a doctoral dissertation is developing the research proposal. This involves identifying and stating the research problem and purpose, asking research questions, stating the hypothesis, reviewing the literature in the field, and formulating the research method or plan. Identifying the problem prepares the ground for the research proposal.
In his book titled Writing a Research Proposal for Your Dissertation, academician Steven R. Terrell lists the features of a good research problem as follows:
- The subject is interesting to the researcher
- The problem has theoretical or practical significance
- Its scope is manageable by the researcher
- The researcher has the knowledge, time and resources needed to investigate the problem
- The problem can be researched through data collection and analysis
- It is ethical to investigate the problem
However, many doctoral students find it a challenge to write an effective problem statement that shows the relevance of the proposed study. Here are some expert tips for developing the problem statement for a research proposal:
- Know the exact focus of your research: The problem statement is the focus of your research. You need to explain how the problem was identified, the background of the problem, and the significance and the benefit of investigating it.
- Identify a good research problem: There are many opportunities for research and many ways to find a good research problem:
- Reviewing the literature in the field is a must. Knowledge of the literature in the field is necessary to provide a background of the problem and show that the problem is worth investigating. Read prior research and dissertations to learn how authors use the literature to support their problem area and to better define, understand and guide their study.
- Determine if you want to investigate a practical problem or a theoretical research problem.
- Suggestions for future research listed in existing studies can help you identify a potential area for research.
- Speaking to people who are acknowledged experts in the field would provide valuable insight into the problem.
- Attending conferences or meetings can help you learn more about a potential area. Attend sessions to your area of interest and ask questions about the topic you are interested in to get informational feedback.
- Write the problem statement: The statement should be clear and concise, and describe the problem and its significance. It should be free of personal bias. The problem statement must be backed up with references from relevant literature. The problem statement must:
- Introduce the reader to the significance of the study
- Provide a concise statement about the purpose of the research, the question and hypothesis
- Define the parameters of the topic being investigated
- Indicate what is necessary to conduct the study and how the results will be reported
The statement of the problem should have the following items: the methodology, the methods that will be used to collect data (e.g., interviews), the participants, where the study will take place, and the topic of the study. Documenting research interviews is an important part of writing the report. Researchers can save time and effort on this task with the help of audio transcription services.
Let’s look at the example of a problem statement for a study on work-life balance among American workers. Finding work-life balance is a top workplace challenge facing Americans and a key topic for research. For example, many research studies have focused on investigating whether work-life balance helps people be more productive. The problem statement for such a study could be: “Chronic stress affects employees’ physical and mental health, causes employee burnout, and leads to a decrease in work performance”. The hypothesis could be that employers can save money and maintain a healthier, more productive workforce by creating a work environment that prioritizes work-life balance.
The researcher should explain the ideal situation and explain what is preventing the ideal situation. Next, the researcher should review the relevant literature in the field and support the research problem with references from the literature. With a clearly-defined problem, it will be possible to formulate one or more research questions. Once the importance of the problem is explained, the appropriate solution should be proposed. This will address the problem statement and enhance the value of the research.
Note taking is critical, mainly in the academic community. Taking effective notes helps students to streamline their study process and concentrate on their syllabus better. Notes also act as a resource for exam preparation. Professional academic transcription services can help this community to convert their audio or video recordings of lectures, dissertations and academic interviews into text format.
The most popular methods of note-taking are linear notes, which includes lists or short sentences with headings, subheadings and underlined or highlighted key points, all in a structured, logical way and diagrams such as mind maps or spider diagrams which provide different ideas linked with each other.
Good note-taking involves analyzing and organizing the information to build a better understanding of the subject. Notes can help to remember the key points of a book, speech, lecture or meeting, record information for future reference, and revise for tests or exams. However, manual note-making can distract you from listening to lectures and to find out the key points you will have to spend twice the amount of time reading them again and again.
How recording and transcription makes note taking effective
Prepare lectures beforehand
If you are a college student, studying the materials that are going to be covered in the lecture ahead of time is a great way to prepare. Modern technology makes recording audio and even video an incredibly simple way to get information, letting you record right on your phone.
Listen to the speaker
During a lecture, consider recording instead of writing down. Dictations by professors can be recorded so that you will be able to concentrate and listen to what they say rather than strive to complete the notes. By recording the session, you can also focus on the speaker’s thoughts and ideas put forth in the meeting, which you are likely to miss when manually taking down notes.
Recording the discussion helps you to be an active participant in a lecture or meeting. If you are busy writing down what is being said by other participants, you cannot be an active participant and the session will not be interactive as well. Offer ideas in a meeting and you can also ask questions to clarify things you are unsure about.
Review notes as soon as possible
In between breaks or after the lecture ends, you will have to run through your notes to make sure that the information covered is still fresh in mind. This review helps to find the areas of the lecture which you’re not clear about and this makes it easy to ask follow-up questions during the next class session. Recording notes and transcribing them makes the review process easier.
Also read our blog on tips for effective note taking!
All the recorded notes can be converted into accurate transcripts that make studying or sharing information much easier. In case you think that non-verbal transcripts are also crucial, capture video recordings of the lecture or meeting.
Academic transcription can also be incredibly useful for the professional research community. Instead of taking notes while a thesis preparation is in progress, a voice recorder or smartphone app can be used to record every observation. This audio can then be transcribed for later use. Reliable transcription outsourcing companies can improve content accuracy along and save valuable time for students. Correct transcripts of research notes, dissertation materials, conferences and classroom recording enable researchers, professors, and students to concentrate more on their critical activities.