In the digital age, you need to get maximum exposure for your content in audio and video format. An online transcription company can provide the solution by capturing these recordings in as accurate text files that can be used for various purposes and shared widely online. Professional transcription services are extensively used in the legal, medical, corporate and educational sectors and for market research, conferences, meetings, and keynote speeches. Video production firms, podcasters, entrepreneurs, content strategists, authors, publicity coaches, marketing consultants, freelance writers, and SEO experts also benefit from video to text transcription solutions.
Transcriptionists in reliable business transcription companies adhere to best practices to meet client goals. Let’s take a look at 5 useful hacks that experts use to maximize transcription productivity.
- Understand client requirements: A reliable transcriptionist would have a clear idea about the client’s specific requirements before undertaking the work. This will save time that will go into making corrections at the end of the project. Professionals will review and meet client needs with regard to formatting and type of transcription (verbatim or non-verbatim, etc), template, font and text style, margins, headers, file names, and time codes. They will also prioritize urgent files.
- Focus on quality over quantity: A professional would aim to deliver an accurate transcript, prioritizing quality over quantity. Only the words that are spoken in the audio would be included and for verbatim transcripts, all words heard would be typed as they are. These include conjunctions, filler words and inconspicuous sounds that can be heard. Only type the words that are spoken in the audio file. Phrases or words that are not understood are tagged appropriately according to the company’s guidelines. Time is also important – trained transcriptionist would take about an hour to transcribe 15 minutes of standard quality audio and review the job at hand constantly to meet time goals. However, the focus would be on producing an error-free, logical document. They would follow best practices such as and doing a spell-check after completing the transcript.
- Have the right tools in place: Professionals will have the right software and hardware in place to perform transcription. This includes special software for video transcription that allows audio playback using just the keyboard or foot pedal, Word expander programs to increase your typing speed, and noise-canceling headphones, speech recognition software. In addition, professionals also use custom keyboard shortcuts and macros and grammar checking tools, and have extensive experiencing researching online to find what they need to deliver quality work.
- Proofreading: Though experts don’t type so fast that accuracy is compromised, proofreading the typed document is important. Business transcription companies have stringent quality checks in place. All transcripts are carefully checked to identify and correct grammatical errors, typos, missing/incorrect words, and other textual mistakes. Their QA team will also ensure that the document is formatted to meet client specifications including addition of timestamps and speaker labels.
- Pay attention to ergonomics: Delivering quality transcription work also means having an ergonomic workspace and taking regular breaks. This includes having the computer monitor placed on a sit-stand desk at least 20 inches from the eyes, an ergonomic keyboard and mouse that are positioned correctly, an adjustable chair absolutely that provides adequate lumbar support. The chair should have a solid base with wheels so that it can be easily moved into different positions. Good lighting is also an important feature of an ergonomic workspace.
Transcripts undoubtedly offer many benefits for businesses. Social media marketing, podcasts, and video marketing are critical to a digital marketing and SEO campaign. Audio transcription and captioning improves your online presence by making sure that your videos and podcasts are seen by your target audience. Videos with transcripts show up higher in SEO rankings, and viewers can also refer to the transcript for review after watching.
Regardless of your industry or field of work, choosing the right service provider is essential for the best results. Consider the following to make the right choice:
- Transcription is performed by a human and not computer generated. Computer-generated transcripts have a high error rate.
- The provider can handle your audio file. Experts can work with any type of audio/video file – MP3, MP4,WAV, G2; 3GP; ASF; AVI; DivX; DV; FLV; M4V; MKV; MOV; MP4; MPEG; VOB and WMV.
- The company is well-equipped to deliver your accurate transcripts to meet your deadlines.
- The work will be done by a transcriptionist with expertise in your field. For e.g., legal transcriptionists are knowledgeable about legal jargon and court proceedings and these qualities are needed to produce a professional transcript.
By partnering with an experienced online transcription company, you would be assured of good results to achieve your business goals.
Businesses use various types of content such as video, audio, podcasts, and narrated slideshows to boost their online presence and reach their targeted audience. Accurate transcripts play a key role in improving the accessibility to such content. Search engines cannot crawl through audio or video content directly, but they can crawl the text. Transcripts are important to make your content searchable. Today, many businesses rely on digital transcription services for audio and video transcripts. A reliable transcription company will ensure accurate, properly edited transcripts of videos or podcasts with correct text and speaker transitions.
Check out the infographic below
Many people prefer listening to podcasts because they can listen to them while trying to be productive doing other things. Podcasts are an excellent tool to connect with your targeted customers. It requires proper planning, good recording and editing to create an effective podcast. Importantly, a podcast does not become effective without its show notes. Shows notes are a text description of a podcast episode that you can upload to the hosting platform along with your audio file and episode graphics. Podcasters add show notes to their website in the form of a blog post to drive website visitors to the podcast. Transcribing podcasts could prove to be laborious. So, reach out to an experienced audio transcription service. We have professional transcriptionists who can transcribe long podcast episodes quickly and with utmost accuracy.
Following are some of the tips that will help you create show notes:
From all the above-mentioned points, it is clear that transcribing your podcast into an accurate and clean transcript is essential to generate show notes that give a quick overview of the episode. For podcast transcription services, associate with a reliable transcription agency.
The nature of work seems to have changed forever over the past two years and companies of all sizes are now adapting to hybrid home and office working. Advanced video conferencing technology along with the services provided by digital transcription agencies allow meetings and conferences to proceed smoothly and keep teams on the same page. Having a flexible, well-trained workforce is key to keep pace with potential future changes and challenges and digital transcription support can help standardize employee training programs.
Importance of Employee Training
With new technologies and competition on the rise, training is crucial for employees to function at their full potential. With many working from home, organizations are looking to training them to perform their jobs well. According to a 2020 survey from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the knowledge and service industries are giving employees more training on new technology and equipment.
There are many reasons why employee training is important:
- Untrained workers tend to make mistakes which costs time and money to correct.
- Proper training reduces risk of mistakes and inefficiencies and can protect your company’s reputation with clients.
- Providing mindfulness and resilience training can reduce stress and anxiety and help employees handle the recent changes in work-life balance
- Upskilling your employees builds confidence in them and creates a better working environment.
- Training can create a team of motivated, engaged and skilled employees.
“Despite these unpredictable times, many employers are maintaining their upskilling and reskilling initiatives, which is critical to maximizing talent and bridging the skills gap,” said Trent Burner, vice president of SHRM Research (www.shrm.com).
Types of Digital Employee Training Programs
Digital employee training programs are important given the trend towards a hybrid work culture. Talentlyft identifies five ways to implement online training sessions for staff:
- Augmented Reality enables hands-on learning in a structured, interactive way and helps employees practice tasks without risk of injury or endangerment.
- Shart-term learning programs or microlearning are ideal for employees who have very busy schedules and cannot focus time on training every day. Learning activities conveyed via videos and podcasts supported by audio transcription, etc.
- Adaptive learning involves using computer algorithms for interactions with the trainee
- Social learning: In social learning, employees learn continuously from their colleagues through blogs, discussion forums, live chats, videos, podcasts, etc.
Innovative learning expert Jim Guilkey advises managers and trainers to review technology options to find what works best for their organization’s needs. Like many other experts in the field, he recommends a using a blended learning approach of short, self-paced digital modules that feature foundational knowledge and performance-support tools that allow employees to use their new knowledge in the field (www.shrm.org).
Forbes Human Resources Council member Cara McCarty of Cognite observes that using a blend of live and recorded sessions with a diverse group of business leaders for training new employees will encourage them to build relationships, learn company strategy and better understand ownership.
Training Programs – Role of Digital Transcription Services
In this digital world, problem solving, digital skills, creative thinking, and collaboration have become increasingly important. Before undertaking a task, employees want to be informed and trained to do it well. They want material that is readily available and can be used and reused. In the current scenario, companies can make this possible with effective e-learning practices and tools, including transcripts. Digital transcription supports training programs in various ways:
- Quality content: Quality content is one of the biggest challenges when implementing training. Using video transcriptions as part of your training material is a great way to ensure quality content. With transcripts, you can present virtual training programs in a text-audio-video format. Interactive transcripts show text phrases as they are spoken. Users can select text in the transcript and go to that point in the video.
- Update information easily: Information and concepts are always evolving and training materials need to be reviewed frequently. Transcripts make this task much simpler and can save time and money. Compared to content in video or audio format, transcripts are easier to edit and bring up-to-date.
- Make training material available for review: Some employees may need additional time with the concepts. Trainees can review the transcripts at a convenient time to understand the content better. If someone had technical glitches during the session, providing transcripts will also ensure that they don’t miss vital information.
- Improve accessibility to the content: Some people find it challenging to understand audio-visual training material completely. Digital transcripts are important for those who process text information better than audio and visual information. They are useful for those with physical or learning disabilities and language barriers.
- Save time: e-learning tools and digital transcripts save time on training. Employees can log in when they can and complete their training faster, which increases the organization’s overall productivity and revenue.
Transcribing an audio files takes time and that’s why many organizations choose to outsource this task. An experienced business transcription company can ensure accurate and timely digital transcripts to support your employee training programs.
Businesses use presentations to communicate with both their employees and external audiences. Remote presentations became the norm when coronavirus struck, with companies continuing to rely on business transcription agencies to convert the audio/video recordings into accurate, well-formatted documents. Whether it’s a pitch about a new product or project idea, it needs practice to deliver a good presentation. One of the most important things for a successful presentation is to engage and hold your audience’s attention. This is where transition words or speech transitions come in.
Purpose of Signalling or Transition Words
Making a presentation is not just about conveying a lot of knowledge. You need to link all the points together and convey your ideas clearly and concisely to your audience. Signalling or transition words are words, phrases and sentences that help your audience understand the flow of your speech or presentation. Using transitions in presentations helps to:
- Link different points or topics together
- Emphasize ideas
- Link to a story
- Move from one point to another
- Summarize or conclude
Good speech transitions allow your audience to understand the connection between the different ideas in your presentation.
Types of Speech Transitions
There are different types of speech transitions that can used in the introduction, outline, body, and conclusion of presentation, including language to refer to visual aids. Here are the most common types of transitions:
- Introduction – After you have welcomed the audience, you can introduce the presentation topic by saying: I am going to talk about… or the subject of my presentation is…
- The overview or outline – This transition is used to go move from the introduction of the presentation to the main part. You can say: I will divide my talk into three parts…or, let’s look at the reasons for this problem and three things we can do about it. At this point, you can also inform your audience about questions, by saying “There will be a Q&A session at the end of the presentation”.
- The body – The next step is moving smoothly to the body or main gist of your presentation as well as its individual sections. Here are some examples:
- Introduce a main point by saying: ‘A major concern is’… or ‘The crux of the problem is’
- Go on to connect different points with: ‘The second concern is’… and ‘the third concern is’…
- To rephrase a main point – say: ‘Let me put that another way’… or ‘in other words…’
- Make a departure from the main topic with: Incidentally… or this reminds me about…
- Compare points with: Likewise… or similarly….
- Give an example: Let me give you an example of this… or take the case of…
- The conclusion – To conclude, you need to summarize the main points. Examples of transitions that can be used include: In conclusion…; to summarize…; therefore… thus, you can see that…
- References to visual aids – Presentations include visual materials such as diagrams, tables and other illustrations and using the right transitions is important to introduce them to your audience. Provide comments or explanations with phrases like: this graph shows…, the next slide illustrates…
Transitions are important and must be practiced in a team presentation, according to a mannerofspeaking.org article. The way a team makes a presentation shows how united the team members are as they work towards achieving their goal. When one member has finished speaking, an effective transition has to be used to bring the next member on stage. The key points to include in the transition are:
- A brief summary of the part covered by the member who has spoken
- Name and designation of the next speaker
- A brief outline of what they will present
Crafting effective transitions depends upon identifying the words or phrases to indicate the logical connections between the main points of your presentation. A digital transcription service provider can provide you with an accurate text version of everything voiced in your presentation to ensure a quality record and also enhance access to the content.