Qualitative researchers often record their interviews and transcribe the recordings in order to gain more understanding of the subject matter for data analysis. The audio content has to be transcribed accurately so that no information is missed. Listening to audio recordings and transcribing them manually which takes hours, if not a full day, can be exhausting. That’s why researchers prefer to partner with digital transcription agencies when they have a large number of audio recordings to convert into text.
Live research interviews, focus groups, events, etc are a vital part of how qualitative researchers gather data for any project. A qualitative study requires the transcription of many hours of audio/video interviews and observations. It takes four to eight hours to transcribe just one hour of audio. Today, qualitative researchers are increasingly relying on outsourced transcription services to make sure that their interview sessions are captured effectively. Experts will ensure that the transcripts can be compared with the actual recordings to see whether anything was omitted or misquoted.
Advantages of Using Transcription Services for Qualitative Research
- Saves time: Outsourcing transcription to a professional transcription service allows the researchers to focus better on analyzing data instead of wasting time on transcribing. Moreover, with their typing skills, professional transcriptionists can document large volumes of recordings in just a few hours.
- Data quality: Outsourcing your transcription tasks will ensure data quality. The transcribers work according to your specifications and help you produce quality data. You don’t have to spend time editing transcripts or correcting mistakes and finding inconsistencies in the data.
- Helps with data analysis: Transcription services can also be useful for content analysis. With accurate transcription of interviews, qualitative researchers can perform better content analysis — identify patterns, themes, or other interesting characteristics in the text. This makes it easier to identify trends, important points, and other key information.
- Speed and efficiency: It can take hours for qualitative researchers to complete transcription on their own. There are instances where researchers are unable to pay due attention to their research project because of this. By outsourcing transcription tasks, you can save time and focus on important project tasks.
- Quick sharing of research findings: Qualitative research always involves more than one researcher working on the project. Accurate transcripts of the interviews and other recordings related to the research can easily be shared among the research team.
There are many automated transcription software available online. The automated option can help if you have time constraints or are simply looking to get your project done as quickly as possible. However, it can lead to costly errors, inaccuracy, inconsistency, and other mistakes. If accuracy is a priority, choose an academic transcription service.
Professional transcriptionists will capture the audio content correctly. A trained transcriptionist takes the time to listen and re-listen to the audio recording. This allows them to capture every single word and pause, ensuring that your message comes across as intended. In addition, they will understand pronunciations, identify the different speakers and name them correctly. They can provide both verbatim and non-verbatim transcription, whereas an automated transcription tool only transcribes what it hears.
Qualitative research project can involve many audio or video recordings. With transcripts generated by professional digital transcription agencies, researchers can get quality transcripts that clearly present all the data, making it easier for them to identify key information for their study. Transcription is a vital part of qualitative research. Reliable research transcription services can make their life easier and allow them to focus on their work.
A great deal of business tech-related articles these days start with a reference to the Covid-19 pandemic. Why? That’s because the pandemic has been such a disruptor to the way businesses were operating. The major area of disruption has been communication. Conference calls have replaced direct communication. While conference calls have already been the mode of communication between the companies and clients as well as outsourcing partners, they are increasingly being used for internal communication as well. That’s why conference call transcription is such a sought-after service.
Despite the successive waves of the pandemic, the brunt of Covid-19 has ended. Still, the new trends that were put in place could continue as their efficiency is being realized. Remote workplaces and conference calls are two of these most prominent trends. Deals can be made or broken, based on conference calls. Employees can also be given vital instructions. So, you really need to get this right.
How Conference Call Etiquette Helps in Producing the Best Outcome
Professional transcription services transcribe videoconferences and conference calls for businesses in diverse sectors. However, it takes some effort to ensure these can effectively replace face-to-face communication.
Effective communication requires not just the flawless technical performance of the devices involved, but also the right body language. Transparency in communication is also essential. So let’s take a look at what’s needed to make the communication satisfy all the members involved, and fulfil the desired objectives. These steps make up what you could call “conference call etiquette”:
Ensure Technical Efficiency of All the Components
The first step is to ensure that all the concerned devices are working properly. You don’t want to drop calls to annoy participants at the other end:
Your microphone and computer must have no gremlins.Ensure that the other participants at your end have their mobile phones turned on and functioning well.Their headphones also need to be working well, since listening via the headphone and speaking via the attached microphone ensures greater clarity.Internet connectivity should be fast and without interruptions. So, ensure your system and those of the participants at your end are connected to your office’s Wi-Fi hotspot.Phone systems should provide almost 99% up times, which would eliminate the risk of your calls dropping.You also need to ensure that your provider offers the HD voice feature so that your voice quality is enhanced and you don’t face the annoying static that disrupts conference calls.
Apologize for Voice Disruptions
Transcription outsourcing companies often report difficulty in transcribing audio files with background noise. Despite your best efforts, there could sometimes be disruptions in the voice. This usually happens when you’re not carrying out the conference call indoors, are travelling, or are in some outdoor location. In any case, you need to make it clear to those at the other end that you’re in someplace where there is a great deal of background noise. Apologize in advance so that the others would know that you aren’t responsible for the disturbances. Otherwise, those at the other end would feel that you haven’t taken this conference call seriously and are disrespectful. Such impressions would compromise your communication from the start.
Behavioral Aspects of Conference Calls
Now that we’ve dealt with the technical elements, let’s look at the other important aspects of conference call etiquette:
Introduce Yourself Before Speaking
Usually, at the start of the conference call, the moderator would introduce everyone present at their side. Despite that, before you start to speak, it is important that you identify who you are. That will help clear any confusion on the other end as to who is speaking. If someone from the other side speaks without identifying themselves, you can wait for the person to finish speaking and then politely request their name.
Don’t Introduce Yourself If You Come in Late
Alternatively, you don’t need to introduce yourself when you’re late to a conference call. Introducing when you join late causes a disturbance, particularly when someone is talking. Even if you don’t introduce yourself, the call software would emit a sound which would tell everyone that someone has joined. The username would be displayed and the moderator could introduce you after the person on the other end has stopped speaking. If the person stops the call and asks who has joined, you can say who you are. However, that still could disrupt the flow. So, there are ways to mute the joining sound. The moderator could take care of that.
Using “Mute” When Needed
Participants should know where the “mute” button is. They should use it when someone else is speaking and there are background noises coming from their side, particularly when they’re outdoors or at home.
When someone else speaks, you don’t need to keep any audio coming from your side. That could spoil the experience for everyone involved since they wouldn’t be able to hear clearly. It would also annoy the speaker, Ideally, you should participate in a conference call from a quiet room, but sometimes sounds such as the cry of a baby, a calling bell, or someone watching television could come into the call.Since you only need to hear when someone else speaks, you can mute your audio. If the background sound refuses to die, though you should try everything you can to cut it or move away from the location to a quieter place, you can keep yourself mute for the entire videoconference and just type your inputs, questions, suggestions, etc through the call software’s chat option. You can also email them.
Don’t Consume Food during a Conference Call
Video may not be present in a conference call. But a lot of what you do can come through to the call. Eating, for example, can quite easily be felt by others in the conference since the sounds of munching and ruffling bags of chips in the background are all clearly audible. You should at least turn on the mute button to ensure those sounds don’t get through. However, it is better to avoid eating. You should absolutely not eat while talking as well.
Importance of Body Language Even Without Video
Finally, maintain good body language. In a video conference, basically a conference call with a video feature as well, people can see how you and your team are sitting. They can watch your posture. However, research states that even in a conference call where you don’t see the participants, your posture is reflected in your voice. Ensure that you’re in a sitting posture and are upright since that will reflect how energetic you are when you speak. Standing while talking also brings out a positive impression, according to communication expert Dianna Booher.
With these basic steps, you can ensure the conference call fulfils all your desired objectives of getting the message across. This would eventually result in greater client satisfaction and better employee performance. Conference call transcription providers can transcribe conference calls so you can refer to the points discussed, strategies formed and decisions made in these calls, whenever you need them.
Recording lectures and transcribing them into accurate notes for future reference is an excellent way for students to ensure that all information presented in class is preserved. Transcribing lectures helps the students to retain information and make sure that they have a good understanding of the material covered. It also helps to reduce the chances of missing out on important information during lectures, because they can listen to it again at a later date if needed. However, many students do not have the time to transcribe the lectures on their own, which is where lecture transcription services become significant. Providers of transcription services ensure high-quality transcription within a short space of time. This gives students more time to focus on their studies, prepare for exams, or complete their assignments.
The following are the top ten reasons why lecture notes need to be transcribed.
- Helps focus better on the lectures: Recording and transcribing lectures allows you to focus solely on your teachers and what they are saying, instead of trying to write down everything they say at the same time. You can be more engaged with your class, which will result in better comprehension of the subject matter.
- Saves time: During a lecture, it may be difficult for some students to take notes because they’re too busy trying to understand what their professor is saying. In other cases, students just can’t keep up with the speed at which their professors talk. In these cases, recording the lectures and having them transcribed professionally, will help save time and allow students to learn more effectively.
- Take part in the discussion: Students can minimize their note-taking during class and actively participate in classroom discussions. They can even use this time to take photos or videos of slides or whiteboard content so they can refer back later on when reviewing for an exam or writing a paper on the subject matter
- Save energy: Attending several classes and taking down notes can be tiresome and energy consuming. By recording and transcribing lectures, students can save their energy for other productive activities like listening and participating in debates, discussions, quizzes and so on.
- Ensures comprehensive details: Students often find it difficult to take down lecture notes, and the chance of missing out on key points is also high. But by recording and transcribing lectures, all crucial points will be included in your notes. Writing down the important points of your lectures will help you practice for tests and exams, and complete other assignments.
- Be a dependable classmate: Transcribing academic lectures gives the students access to all accurate notes without missing any details. These notes can be distributed among students who didn’t get to note down everything important the professor said.
- Include your classmates’ input: Sometime your classmates may contribute more to the classroom lectures but it is often ignored and more emphasis is given to what the professor says. The valuable points contributed by your classmates can also be included when recording and transcribing the entire lecture.
- Correct your notes: Sometimes there may be some errors in the notes, and in such cases, the students can go back to the recording and listen again to correct the notes.
- Review and improve performance: To achieve a top position in the class, accurate lecture notes are vital. Once you get all the notes, they have to be organized carefully so that you can review each point. Students can review the notes and work to improve their performance.
It may not be easy for a student to give his or her full attention to the class. Recording the lectures and transcribing them with the help of general transcription companies allows students to concentrate better on their studies, instead of wasting their time taking down notes. It also gives students more time to do any required research, organize the information that they have gathered, and understand the topic better.
Podcasting is a great way to grow your readership and viewership, but only if you can connect with new audiences. Over 3 billion searches take place on Google on a daily basis, and if you want to rank your podcast higher in the SERP (Search Engine Result Page) results and reach a wider audience, it is important to optimize your podcast transcription for SEO. Podcast transcription helps boost SEO and increase your reach on search engines.
A podcast is a method of delivering audio and video-based content which can be viewed on various devices. However, podcasts are more than just audio content when transcribed. A podcast is an effective marketing tool as it increases accessibility and helps people with hearing impairment and non-English speakers to enjoy the content just like any other listener. When you make the podcast transcript accessible, the search engine bots can crawl the content and index it.
This increases the web traffic to your podcast. Once the podcast is transcribed, it can also be repurposed to create other content such as blogs, social media posts, and infographics. So, transcribing a podcast makes the podcast even more engaging and interesting. Here are some tips to optimize your podcast transcripts for search engines.
- Optimize the title of your podcast: Many marketers focus on optimizing the podcast transcript but ignore the title. The podcast title should be optimized with relevant keywords so that it grabs the attention of the audience.
- Podcast transcripts need not be verbatim: Podcasts are often transcribed into a verbatim format which includes all filler words like “er,” “ugh,” etc. and other background sounds. Verbatim transcription is a sign of good transcription. But the transcript cannot be posted as it is. Some of the paragraphs may be too long with reiterated statements or contain some vague ideas. Readers do not want to waste their time reading such long paragraphs. So, you need to edit those paragraphs and get to the point quickly. Make sure that the podcast is edited very well, make necessary changes, and optimise the podcast for search engines.
- Use relevant keywords in your transcript: The right way to optimize your podcast transcript is by adding relevant keywords. So, do some research, figure out what those keywords are, and find out whether your website is already ranking for some of those keywords, or whether you have new keywords that you want those pages or those posts to be ranking for. To get to the top of search engines, the transcript should have relevant and targeted keywords.
- Add images to your content: Add interesting and relevant images to your podcast transcript. Use competitive snapshots, look for websites that are ranking for the keywords you are targeting, and identify the competitors who have those answer boxes and those featured snippets. Also, consider what the people also ask about features are for those keywords.
- Optimize your content: The next step is to get the transcribed content onto your site as brand-new content, as a blog, or as a page to go with the podcast. You can improve your evergreen content that is not performing well with your optimized transcript. The next step to optimize your content is to add keywords to your metadata, H1 tags, images alt tags and also add any relevant schema.
- Make sure that the page is indexed in Search Console: Once your content is ready, go to Search Console to index that page. Whether it’s a new page or an existing page, either way, drop that URL in there, make sure Google is crawling it, and if it is a new page, make sure it is in your sitemap.
Podcasts have become a great source of content for both audiences and creators. Transcription of your podcast gives you a new way to share your content with people who might not be interested in listening to an audio file but are still interested in what you have to say. By transcribing and optimizing your podcasts with the help of a digital transcription agency, you can reach out to a wider audience and engage with them. This can help Google rank your page higher in search results when someone searches for those terms online. It enables you to gain more visibility, reach out to a wider audience, and share the content better.
One of the things that we learned from the pandemic is that people need human-to-human interaction. By confining people to their homes, the pandemic made face-to-face interactions and customer engagement a major challenge. That’s where phone calls come in. Even with digital modes of communication like live chat and email, phone calls continue to be relevant because they allow for human interaction. Telephone calls are used to conduct job interviews, for collecting quantitative survey data and to converse with managers, colleagues and clients. Converting recorded calls into text files with the help of a business transcription company will preserve the conversations for future reference.
However, making business calls can be unnerving for many people. Handling business calls professionally can go a long way in building robust relationships with people and achieving the desired goals of the interaction. Here are 10 tips for handling business phone calls:
- Prepare for the call: Preparing for the call is paramount to success.