As employees work from home, video conferencing apps are helping teams collaborate seamlessly. Advanced video conferencing platforms allow meetings be set up quickly and take place smoothly without concerns about technical snags, accessibility, or cost. Companies can choose from a variety of video conferencing services such as Zoom, GotoMeeting, Google Meet, Skype, and Microsoft Teams, to reach out to their employees, partners, and clients. Recording work meetings allows you to revisit the conversation and better understand the discussion. A digital transcription service can ensure accurate and timely written records of the proceedings.
How Online Meetings are recorded on 5 Popular Apps
Recording the meeting properly is necessary to document it accurately. Each video conferencing software tells you how to record video meetings.
- Zoom: Zoom allows both paid and free users to record and save meetings. Paid users can save the recording to the cloud and free users, on their computer. The host has to record the meeting or give a participant the ability to record it. The host can begin the recording by clicking on the option to record on the toolbar and an indicator will notify the participants that the recording is active. Meetings can also be stopped by clicking the pause button. For a local recording, the call is converted into a .mp4 file and saved to the computer when the meeting ends. If the cloud recording was selected, you will be sent an email notification when the recording is ready.
- GoToMeeting: This simple cloud-hosted communication and collaboration solution comes with toll-free multinational numbers. It allows users to launch their online conferences through its simple UI system. Participants can join the meeting from any device, including a Mac, PC, Android, or IOS machine by clicking the customized URL sent to them. GoTo automatically captures the host’s screen and everyone’s audio, whether the user is sharing the entire monitor or a single application or whether people are participating via their computer audio or from their phone. Meetings can be recorded and stored locally or in the cloud. The GoToMeeting Smart Meeting Assistant provides transcripts of the meeting that can be shared with others along with the recorded meetings. If needed, you can get your transcripts edited and formatted by a meeting transcription service provider.
- Google Meet: To support remote work, Google Meet is providing G Suite customers free access to recording a call on until September 30th. More features have been added to enhance the platform, including tiled layout for group calls with up to 16 participants, the ability to share high-quality video with audio during meetings, low-light mode to make the participants more visible, and noise cancellation (www.gizbot.com).The host or anyone in the same organization as the host can record the meeting. Click the icon with the three vertical dots in the lower right hand of your screen and start the recording by clicking “Record meeting” on the menu that appears. To stop recording, click the three vertical dots again and click the Stop recording menu option. Recordings are saved to “Meet Recordings”, the meeting host’s Google Drive in a folder. The host as well as any participant who activated a recording will be emailed a link to the recording.
- Skype: Like other apps, Skype comes with a built-in recording feature for desktop, mobile, and the web. Both you and person you’re calling can record the call. Start the audio/video call and when connected, click the ellipsis icon and select the Start recording option. Both of you will receive an alert that the call is being recorded. To stop recording, click the “Stop recording” button. The recording will be available on Skype for 30 days and can be saved as an MP4 file for future reference and sharing. You can view the recording saved on your computer directly from Skype and share one or more recordings with other persons in your contact list.
- Microsoft Teams: Teams allows you to record your meeting video, audio and shared screen activities and save them in the cloud. As there is an option for automatic transcription, users can play back meeting recordings with closed captions and search for important discussion items in the transcript. The recording is saved to Microsoft Stream and can be shared securely across the organization. Both the host and participants can start, stop and replay the meeting, but external attendees cannot do this. Once a meeting is recorded, Microsoft Stream retains it until the recording owner deletes it. Users have the option to decide whether or not to have a transcript automatically generated after the meeting is recorded.
Best Practices for Recording Online Meetings
These convenient video conference platforms have changed the way meetings are conducted. Participants can share screens, video feeds, documents and side-conversations with multiple participants at a time. However, following best practices is important to make the most of these sessions. It’s also important to be aware of that recorded calls come with potential for exposure and to mitigate against these risks, says an article in Law.com. As we have seen, the host or the person who made the call can save recorded files of meetings, screen shares and “chat” window information either to their computer or on the server where the software resides. According to the article, legal issues can arise if the user is not aware that the meeting is being or could be recorded and where the resulting recorded file is saved “could affect which custodians and servers need to be included in an eDiscovery request.” To avoid these concerns, the article recommends that all online meeting invitations be sent out only with a disclosure statement explaining the service allows for recording sessions, which may be discoverable in a legal matter.
Recording meetings provides you with information that can be used for new product announcements, corporate news, training demos, etc. Given the significance of video conferencing, following best practices can ensure that is planned and conducted well. Experienced business transcription service providers can ensure that the proceedings are transcribed accurately.