Video content is highly popular today and to make it consumable for everyone, captions are added to video content. This allows viewers to understand the topic of the video clearly and also helps deaf or hard of hearing viewers to enjoy just like others. Closed captions or subtitles are the key that helps retain the viewers’ attention when they can’t listen to the audio. So, transcribing your videos and adding captions to it with the help of a reliable online transcription service is vital to get more views.
Closed captions are transcriptions of spoken dialogue and it can be toggled off or on according to the desires of the viewers.
5 Reasons to Use Closed Captions for Your Video
- Better accessibility: Adding captions to videos helps to make the content more accessible to a larger number of people especially, those who are hard of hearing.
- Improve SEO index: Caption improves SEO because with transcripts available, search engines can crawl the full text of the video or audio and rank your site appropriately. Transcribing video helps to make engaging content and makes it easy for others to find the content easily.
- Helps non-native English speakers: By adding captions, translation of the video in any other language becomes easy and quick so that you can reach a larger audience.
- Enhances user experience: Captions help viewers find what they are looking for and this can increase traffic and also improve customer satisfaction.
- Increase average watch time: Adding captions holds the audience’s attention and people are likely to watch the video completely.
Tips for Using Temi to Caption videos
Temi is a software tool that lets you add automatic closed captions to your video quickly. Here are some tips to use Temi to add captions:
- Upload the file to Temi
- Refine your video transcript in the Temi Editor
- Download the transcript as SRT or VTT. Upload the SRT or VTT file to your video player of choice and your captions are ready for everyone.
Temi offers the flexibility to choose between two caption file formats SubRip Text (SRT) and WebVTT (VTT). SRT files are the most common caption file format used by online video players like Facebook, YouTube, and Vimeo. It contains video caption information, such as the start and end time codes of the text and the sequential number of caption groups, and it can be opened and edited in any text editor.
VTT files are similar but more functional as these can store metadata notes and also support text formatting, including font and colour.
Temi is an automated transcription tool that lets you transcribe your video. However, automated transcription tools have shortcomings such as difficulty to detect different speakers, mix up of names of people or places, in-built capability of discerning context and difficult in catching up with heavy accents.
Accurate information is crucial when it comes to communicating your intentions and messages clearly and efficiently. If you are in a public place, you can watch the video while turning down the volume and turning on the captions. Adding captions to your video helps hearing impaired people enjoy the video, and supports your SEO efforts as well. A reliable online transcription service help in transcribing videos based on the requirement of the clients.