Creating and publishing great content is an essential element in digital marketing. This requires superior writing skills and a proper content marketing strategy with a planned and effective workflow. Many businesses also rely on digital transcription agencies to transcribe audio and video content to improve their content marketing and SEO efforts.
Editorial Workflow in Content Development and Distribution
Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience – and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action (Content Marketing Institute). Content work flows help eliminate the common problems associated with producing content and ensure that it is produced and delivered on time. The editorial workflow process is a critical element when it comes to producing high quality digital content. Transcription can improve the editing workflow.
The content marketing team is responsible for developing relevant, high-quality content from specific ideas and meeting delivery deadlines. The editorial workflow comprises the steps followed to create content and includes everything from strategy and ideation to publication and distribution.
The editorial workflow simplifies the content development process by:
- defining all the tasks
- managing content ideas
- identifying the path of every piece of content created
- identifying the person/team managing each of those steps
- defining the timing for completion of tasks
- notifying stakeholders in the appropriate order
- evaluating the overall progress of your content
A well-organized editorial workflow process is transparent, efficient, saves time and resources, and drives the company’s content marketing strategy forward.
Role of Transcription in Editorial Workflow
Editing is an important aspect of the post-production process and involves various steps. According to Cine D, following these strategies can ease the process:
- shoot for the edit
- make sure you have enough material
- watch all the clips and arrange them in order
- filter unwanted footage using the editing tool
- transcode the clips
- build the timeline relevant to the story
- create continuity and flow in the video
- edit the end of the video
Transcripts can play a key role in improving the complex editorial workflow process. Let’s see how you can edit videos using transcripts.
- Transcribe the video: Video transcription involves listening to the video recording and converting the spoken words into a well-formatted, easy-to-read digital document. So the first step in the editing process to get the video footage converted to text. Videos that contain interviews, conversations, presentations, or testimonials feature a lot of spoken discussions. Video transcription service makes the content easier to understand. A good video transcript would include an accurate text version of the content, speaker names, verbatim dialogue, relevant quotes, punctuation, spelling and grammar, and time stamps. Transcription identifies speakers, makes the content accessible to the hearing impaired, supports viewing in noisy settings, drives SEO and video views, increases user engagement, and more. There are two options to consider when it comes to transcribing videos: doing it yourself or hiring a digital transcription service provider to ease this laborious task.
- Organize the transcripts: It’s important to be able to access, search, and edit your audio transcripts easily. After you receive the completed transcripts from your transcription company, make sure they are organized on your hard drive or your cloud storage platform.
- Find the relevant content: When editing video content, you need to quickly find what is necessary for the narrative. Using transcripts in the video editing process eases this process. Instead of digging through the footage and finding the best quotes, you just need to refer to the transcript. A searchable interactive transcript is time-synchronized and highlights the words as they are being spoken in a video. You can quickly read and use the find function to search the transcript with key terms, phrases, names, data, etc., to find the best bites to tell your story. Highlight the best elements.
- Mark timecodes and make a paper edit: Make sure that you note the file name and timecode for each bit of content in your transcript that want to use. This will help you find the exact place where your clip is available. Next, copy and paste the filename, timecode, speaker name, and selected phrases and quotes in a new document. This will make the next step easy: organizing the text in a paper edit.
- Cut the video footage: Once you have the text description of the cuts to be made in the raw footage, you can cutting the video using the editing software. Open your transcript in another window when you are editing your video. You can search the transcript to find what you want for the narration, which will go a long way in improving your editing workflow.
Having a proper editorial workflow process in place helps to avoid setbacks and allows you to produce quality content more effectively. A business transcription company can help you optimize the editorial process with quality written content. Partnering with a professional service provider is important to get accurate transcripts in fast turnaround time.