Podcasts have become a popular source of entertainment for many people. As of today, 49 percent of Americans, in the age group 12 to 34, listen to podcasts at least once in a month and 68 million Americans are weekly podcast listeners. The rapid popularity of podcast is due to its on- demand nature of medium, which means that, it takes time to read a piece of write up whereas listening so the same article in a bit size audio is much easier. Listening to podcasts is a way of relaxing due to its convenience and now it is widely used by students to for learning purposes, by businesses to market their products and services and so on. These podcasts can be transcribed into text format to enable easy access. Here are some of the reasons why podcasts should be transcribed.
- As per the World Health Organization, 5% of people have some kind of disabling hearing impairment. Podcasting is an audio-first medium, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your content available to people with hearing impairments. Podcasts transcription allows people with hearing disability to enjoy the content just like others. It also makes the content accessible to non-native speakers. You can help them out by putting that content in written form for them to read.
- Transcription of a 30-minute podcast can have at least 6000 words that can be repurposed to make valuable content. Optimizing the content helps to boost SEO and attract users which ultimately makes it easier for new listeners to find your content. It is a valuable way to help Google understand what your podcast episodes are about.
- Most content creators avoid linking to podcast episodes that doesn’t have podcast transcript. This is because without a podcast transcript there’s nothing much for their readers or followers to explore without listening to an entire episode. So, to get more backlink opportunity, make sure to post podcast transcripts also along with podcast episode.
- A podcast transcript is an accurate written copy that can be used to create other forms of content. You can also use it for email marketing campaigns, social media posts, or infographics. Many podcasters use their transcriptions as sources for blog articles.
How to Transcribe Podcasts
- Make sure to use the right equipment: Using quality equipment to transcribe podcasts is important to improve the quality of transcription. Investing in a good set of headphones that has noise-cancelling feature and a fast computer equipped with a good word processing software are essential so that it becomes easier for the transcriptionist to focus on the audio and produce an error-free transcript. Consider buying a foot pedal because it makes rewinding and playback of audio while transcribing a lot easier.
- Use transcription software: There are several transcription software available in the market and using these software helps to speed up the transcription process by allowing you to slow down, speed up, pause, rewind, or fast forward the audio. Another option is to invest in a paid transcription software that has much more relevant features that make transcription easier and more efficient.
- Invest in a good chair: Having a comfortable chair to sit on during transcription work is an absolute must because the transcription process can take several hours and sitting in front of a computer comfortably helps the transcriptionist to produce accurate transcripts. It helps prevent pain and fatigue that can lead to poor quality transcription. Use a chair that conforms to your body’s natural shape and contour.
- Research terminology: Podcasts that focus on high-level topics such as science and technology may contain terms and acronyms and slang that laymen cannot understand. Search for such terms on the internet and understand their meaning. If you cannot find those on the internet, the next option is to ask the podcast creator to provide a list of common terms in their podcasts, which will help you transcribe correctly.
- Check the audio quality: Poor audio quality in podcasts could automatically result in an inaccurate transcript, and this can be stressful for transcriptionists as they will need to check the quality of the audio before getting around to transcribing. So before beginning to transcribe, look for those parts of the podcast that have muffled sound or are hard to hear.
Podcasts are an effective portable, convenient and intimate way to deliver and produce content, and to build an ongoing relationship with your users. Transcribing podcasts is important to reach out to more users. To ensure accurate transcription of podcasts, hire general transcription services. They offer transcription as well as quality check at reasonable rates.