Podcasts are digital audio files that the users can listen to whenever they want. According to the latest statistics by Brandastic, in 2020, more than 55 percent of US population listen to podcasts; 155 million people listen to podcasts every week. This shows that the use of podcasts is on the rise with every year. The advantage of a podcast is that it is for everyone as it provides content on any topic and keeps the users engaged. Although it allows everyone to enjoy the content, people with hearing impairment are unable to consume the content. Therefore, transcribing podcasts with the help of digital transcription services is essential. Podcast transcription helps to make your podcast accessible to wider audience, searchable, easily sharable and marketable. It also makes more people subscribe to it, and it plays a significant role in online life. A podcast transcript is a printed version of an audio or video broadcast designed for downloading or streaming online. It opens up your content to several markets that would otherwise go unreached.
Following are some of the ways to transcribe your podcast.
- Do it yourself: This is the most basic way of transcribing a podcast. All you need are podcast recording, good headphones and you can sit down, listen to the recording and convert it into text format. If you are a transcriptionist or stenographer, transcribing may not be a problem; otherwise, a 30-minute recording can take up to 2 or more hours to transcribe. In short, this is a waste of time and a very old and conventional way of transcribing.
- Dictation software: Many software are now available online that provide automated transcript of podcast. The output of these software may vary depending on your podcast. If there are speakers with strong accents or recordings with overlapping sentences, the software may not be able to deliver the desired results.
Dictation software is available that allows voice typing facility. Google Doc is a voice typing software that lets you play the audio file and get the podcast transcript. Here is how it is done.
- Open Chrome to use Google Doc voice typing.
- Go to Google Docs and open a new document.
- Click on Tools and choose Voice Typing from the drop-down menu.
- Open DAW and start playing the sound file to get the podcast transcribed.
- Click the little microphone icon. It’ll change colors. As the microphone picks up the dialogue, the text will appear on screen.
Google Doc is a popular dictation software but it does not ensure accuracy. It leaves you with many pages of unpunctuated text and inaccuracies. Although it saves you time from typing, it will need a thorough editing.
- Outsourcing podcast transcription services
The ideal solution for transcribing your podcast is by outsourcing podcast transcription. There are three ways how podcasts can be transcribed.
- AI-powered transcription: There are many AI-powered transcription software like Temi, Trent, Sonix etc that provide machine-made transcripts at the click of a button.
- Manual transcription: Here, the podcasts are outsourced to professional transcription vendors who can convert podcast with utmost accuracy. They deliver high quality output and provide customized services according to the needs of the clients. These services are time-efficient and affordable too.
- A blended approach: This uses both machines and humans to provide error-free podcast transcript. With transcription software like Scribie and Rev.com, automated transcripts are generated and later edited with the help of human editors.
Podcast transcription is a documented version of your podcast that can be used for productive purposes. The main advantage of transcribing podcast is that it gives wider accessibility to the podcast content. Once the podcast is transcribed, the transcript can be published along with the podcast for people with hearing disabilities. A professional digital transcription services provider will ensure accurate podcast transcripts within customized turnaround time.