Media transcription involves the conversion of audio and video recordings into text formats, which may be used for reference purposes in the future. Transcription of radio and television shows, business meetings, interviews and podcasts fall in this category. Transcription of media material is important to the legal system. They use the service of professionals in this field to obtain text documents of witness interviews and depositions. Audio police interviews with suspects are transcribed and each juror in a trial is given a copy of the transcript. Thus interview transcription facilitates following the conversation in written form while listening to the audio version of the interview.
When media content is done for various purposes, certain factors have to be taken into account.
- If you are aiming at superior quality transcripts, ensure that the audio files given for transcription are of good quality.
- The file format in which the content is prepared must be made clear beforehand so that the transcriptionists can set up the software ready for the job. This is necessary as not all file formats suit specific software.
- The audio level can be kept consistent so that the transcriptionists can easily pick up the dictation without being confused by the changing levels of voice.
- The length of the audio or video can be made known earlier itself so that they can set up appropriate plans for the work and meet your deadlines.
- If there are any problems with the vocal and audio quality, ensure that you make it known earlier so that appropriate steps can be taken beforehand to handle it.
- Time code is the most significant element when it comes to media transcripts. The accurate details for adding the time code must be made available so as to avoid any ambiguity and to ensure that the matter remains in sync with the source of the media.
- The labels or headers if any can be added before the process of transcription to avoid any confusion at a later stage.
- If any matter in the content is unnecessary or irrelevant, then convey the same to the transcriptionists beforehand to avoid the loss of space and time.
- While assigning the transcription project itself, let the team know the expected turnaround time so that they can work accordingly.
Some projects may require a higher level of security for the data to be transcribed and in such cases, make sure that you are entrusting the task to the right, HIPAA-compliant service provider.