How to Prove You Have Good Face-to-Face Communication Skills

by | Published on Jun 28, 2019 | Interview Transcription

Share this:

The job interview is a very important step in the staff selection procedure. These interviews help employers and companies select the right person for the right job. Reliable interview transcription providers can transcribe audio and video tapes of interviews into text format. Interviews allow employers to collect the complete information of the candidate including his/her cultural and educational background, work experience, intelligence quotient, communication skills, personality type, interests and social behavior. Job interviews are also beneficial to job seekers in many ways. The interview provides an employment opportunity to the candidate and helps boost their confidence level and morale. In addition, interviews help job seekers establish contact with the interviewer and the other candidates. If a candidate fails to get selection in a first job interview, he/she can succeed at the next job hunting attempts with the help of these contacts.

How to Prove You Have Good Face-to-Face Communication Skills

Having effective face-to-face communication skills can increase your chance of getting hired for a job.  So, how will you prove during a job interview that you have excellent face-to face communication skills?

  • By building a rapport with others – As part of rapport building, the first thing you have to do when you arrive for your job interview is, greet everyone you are introduced to with a warm smile, eye contact and a firm handshake. Though these people may not play any major role in making the final decision, they will often give feedback in your favor to the interviewer.
    The next step is to build a rapport with your interviewer. For that, you should listen keenly while they speak. You should never interrupt, and pause for a second before answering. Keep in mind that body language speaks louder than words. According to Professor Albert Mehrabian, only 7% of a message is sent through words. The remaining 93% is non-verbal which includes 55 percent body language and 38 percent tone of voice. Hence, you should avoid looking around the room, leaning back in your chair, and fidgeting as this could create an impression that your mind is elsewhere. Positive body language such as sitting up straight, leaning forward, and nodding and smiling while speaking, will create an impression that you are paying attention and are fully engaged in the interview process. You could prepare questions to ask your interviewer about their own career journey within the business. This is another great way to create rapport with your interviewer.  You should also be prepared to ask questions to your potential team members, whenever you are introduced to any other employees during the interview process.
  • By answering the questions with clarity and confidence – You should prepare to speak with conviction and answer the interview questions confidently and clearly. So, before your interview, you should follow a few recommended confidence-boosting steps such as taking deep breaths, picturing positive outcomes and speaking with your recruiter. In addition, you must practice answering common interview questions and stick to a structure to keep your response concise and relevant to the question asked. It is recommended to use the STAR interview response technique (situation, task, action and result) which will help you give concise answers to interview questions.
  • Situation: Present a recent situation and the challenges you faced.
  • Task: Describe your role or responsibility in the situation.
  • Action: Explain how you managed the situation or overcame the challenge.
  • Results: Share what outcomes your actions achieved.
  • By being responsive in your communications before and after the interview – The interviewer will consider your communication skills and responsiveness before and after the interview. So, make sure to keep your phone close by both before and after the interview. This will help you respond quickly and easily. Even after the interview, you should contact the interviewer through the recruiter to thank them for their time and to reiterate your interest in the position.
    Maintaining good eye contact, adopting a relaxed and open posture, listening to the other party and being audible will help prove to the interviewer that you have good face-to face communication skills.

Audio and video recordings of interviews can be transcribed into text format by professional transcription outsourcing companies, so as to maintain accurate documentation of the interviews.

Related Posts