Writing a thesis or dissertation is a challenging process. Students need to find a topic, do relevant research, follow specific style guidelines, and develop their content. Fortunately, there is a wide range of options out there, including smart tools and academic transcription services, that can help students complete their work efficiently and more easily.
Five Best Tools for Writing a Thesis/Dissertation
Here are five best tools for writing a thesis/dissertation:
- LaTeX: LaTeX offers a fast and simple way to create a document. It is a document preparation system for high-quality typesetting. It uses plain text for writing and not formatted text as in a word processor like Microsoft Word. The writer uses markup tagging conventions are used to define the general structure of a document, to stylize text throughout a document (such as bold and italics), and to add citations and cross-references. A LaTeX aware text editor can be used to edit the text files as well as syntax highlighting, spell checking, and automatic formatting.
LaTeX allows you to easily create complex mathematical equations, figures, and tables. This makes it a popular option for preparing medium-to-large technical or scientific documents for publication in fields such as mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics, chemistry, economics, linguistics, quantitative psychology, philosophy, and political science.
Most tutorials appear right away in your browser. With LaTeX, you can focus on creating the right content and save time without having to worry about the formatting or layout. LaTeX is freely available on all OS Windows, macOS, and many Linux distributions.
An article in www.scijournal.org recommends, “If you have the time, the dedication, the patience, and the motivation to put an effort into learning LaTeX, go for it”.
- Trinka AI: Founded by well-known academic service provider Enago, this AI-powered tool is specifically designed to support academic and technical writing. One of Trinka’s highlights is its top-notch support for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation and style. Trinka uses AI to ensure to analyze your writing and make sure it is free of common correct contextual spelling problems and grammatical issues. It may also recommend corrections for those errors. It will also keep track of all the changes you make to your document. In addition to helping you maintain a consistent, professional writing style, Trinka.ai checks plagiarism and makes your work publication-ready.
- Docear: Docear calls itself “The Academic Literature Suite.” Docear provides a single platform to support almost every aspect of the research process. Its single-section user-interface allows researchers to:
- Keep all their material organized within one streamlined and intelligible system
- View multiple annotations in multiple documents simultaneously and easily include them when planning their paper
- Leverage a “literature suite concept” featuring many tools — from pdf management to mind mapping — in a single application
- Utilize a recommender system that connects them with new literature related to their specific research area
- Grammarly: This free writing assistant edits and corrects your grammar, spelling, punctuation, and more. It instantly catches unintentional typos, fixes spelling mistakes and confusing grammar. It recognizes confusing word pairs (such as “affect” and “effect”) and lets you know when you’re using a correctly spelled word in the wrong context. With its free spell-checker, this tool let’s researchers rest assured that the work they’re submitting is polished, follows English grammar rules, and free of mistakes. Grammarly provides writing feedback and helps you to communicate your ideas clearly and avoid grammar mistakes that distract from the key points.
- Supports free English spell check in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Chrome and other major browsers, iPhone, or Android
- Offers feedback, tips, and examples to help hone your spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity, vocabulary, tone and more
- Zotero: Building the bibliography is one of the most challenging aspects of writing a thesis or dissertation. Zotero helps you build a bibliography instantly from any computer or device. It is an ideal option for use across multiple projects or for collaboration with others. For a bibliography for single paper, Zotero offers Zoterobib. Both are free, open-source tools that don’t require any software and come with sorting and searching features. Zotero’s capabilities include:
- Allows you save items with one click with browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari
- Automatically downloads PDFs and webpage snapshots
- Word processor plugins to quickly insert citations and automatically generate a bibliography from the citations
- Organization and tagging
- Group libraries for easy collaboration and sharing
- Automatic syncing across the user’s devices
- Retracted item notifications
- Supports over 10,000 CSL styles
This free, open source tool is available for different platforms and is also compatible with numerous other software tools.
One main disadvantage is that Grammarly’s use is limited to correcting spelling and grammar. Moreover, the free version is very limited.
Bibliographies created are stored in the user’s local browser storage until you delete them.
These state-of-the-art tools can help you in writing your thesis. Some researchers are also recommending the new kid on the block — ChatGPT. According to a report on www.griproom.com ChatGPT can help you formulate your research question, find relevant articles and papers, create an outline, generate ideas and content, edit and revise your work along with improving grammar, and boost communication and collaboration.
In addition to these tools, thesis and dissertation transcription services are a valuable resource for researchers. Transcription companies that offer these services have experienced professionals who can ensure that audio/video recordings of interviews, meetings, lectures, seminars and other interactions are correctly transcribed. The support of a reliable academic transcription service provider can go a long way in ensuring quality documentation in fast turnaround time, allowing you to focus on your writing tasks.
Looking for quality, budget-friendly dissertation/thesis transcription solutions?
MOS can provide flawless and timely documentation of your audio and video recordings – call (800) 670-2809 to learn about our competitively priced transcription services for students and researchers.
Focus on your project and leave your audio/video transcription tasks to us!