Transcription is the process of converting recorded video or audio files into text format. Every business needs to maintain detailed records of its communications and this can be ensured with timely transcription. Organizations can either perform the transcription in-house or outsource it, the latter being a more economical option. There are reliable general transcription providers that offer professional transcription of all important records into accurate transcripts within the required turnaround time. Skilled transcriptionists provide insightful transcription with careful listening, detailed note taking and perceptive interpretation. This ensures that the transcripts clearly convey what the speakers actually meant.
General transcription includes transcribing lectures, speeches, telephone messages, recordings of meetings and various dictation notes. Business transcription including insurance transcription must be accurate and unambiguous. This means that vocabulary and grammatical errors must be kept to a minimum. Grammar mistakes are usually those involving homophones, which would lead to confusion in the transcripts. Professional general transcription companies guarantee maximum accuracy through multilevel QA procedures. Even so, there may still be minor mistakes.
Now let us look at some of the common grammatical and vocabulary errors seen in transcripts, which transcriptionists should take care to avoid.
- Aid and aide: â€śAideâ€ť refers to assistant and â€śaidâ€ť refers to help. Often transcriptionists use â€śaidâ€ť for both meanings.
- There, their and theyâ€™re: These words sound the same but are different in meaning. â€śThereâ€ť signifies a physical place; â€śtheirâ€ť indicates ownership or possession; and â€śtheyâ€™reâ€ť is short form for â€śthey are.â€ť You can get these words right only if you take the context into consideration.
- Effect and affect: â€śEffectâ€ť is usually used as a noun whereas â€śaffectâ€ť is used as a verb. â€śEffectâ€ť signifies something that is the result of an action; and â€śaffectâ€ť is used to indicate how something changes when something else acts on it. However, sometimes â€śaffectâ€ť is used as a noun to refer to the appearance of someoneâ€™s mood, and â€śeffectâ€ť is used as a verb to signify the meaning â€śto bring about.â€ť For example, as in the sentence â€śIn spite of his indifferent affect, he still preferred to effect a change in the policy.â€ť
- Principle and principal: â€śPrincipleâ€ť refers to a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning. â€śPrincipalâ€ť as noun refers to a very important senior person in an organization or group, and as adjective it refers to the sum of money invested that draws interest.
- Adapt and adopt: â€śAdoptâ€ť is the right word when you are referring to placing a child or animal with a new family. â€śAdaptâ€ť has a totally different meaning used to indicate that you are changing something so that it is more suitable to a situation/environment. You adopt a child, but you adapt your home space to suit a mobility impaired family member.
- Past and passed: â€śPastâ€ť refers to time that has gone by and no longer exists whereas â€śpassedâ€ť means move or cause to move in a specified direction.
- Ensure and insure: â€śEnsureâ€ť means to make certain whereas â€śinsureâ€ť means to protect against loss.
- Emigrate and Immigrate: â€śEmigrateâ€ť refers to leaving oneâ€™s country and â€śimmigrateâ€ť means to enter another country.
- Capital or capitol: â€śCapitalâ€ť refers to the primary city in the country, province or state which is usually the seat of government.Â It also means money that a person or business has in their possession whereas â€ścapitolâ€ť refers to a building that holds the governmentâ€™s legislative branch.
- Youâ€™re and your: â€śYouâ€™reâ€ť is got by combining â€śyouâ€ť and â€śareâ€ť whereas â€śyourâ€ť is a possessive word showing belonging.
An error-free transcript is essential for any organization and hence it is important that accurate documentation of sensitive information is ensured. Partnering with professional general transcription providers helps to get the affordable transcription done within short turnaround time at affordable rates.