As an experienced business transcription service provider, we strive to meet the requirements of diverse businesses. Our blog posts are designed to provide informative content including tips and insights on transcription and various related topics.
Our 2021 blog posts covered diverse topics ranging from legal transcription software tools to transcription of podcasts, videos, market research, and dictation best practices. As the year draws to an end, let’s take a look at the top blog posts our readers enjoyed.
- 5 TOP LEGAL TRANSCRIPTION SOFTWARE TOOLS FOR LAWYERS
The adoption of legal transcription software is expected to increase exponentially in the coming years. Automated tools provide instant, fully-searchable transcripts of detailed witness statements, depositions, investigations and pleadings, police reports, interrogations, telephone recordings etc. Accurate transcripts are important for lawyers handling personal injury, medical malpractice, worker’s compensation and other cases. This blog discusses 5 top legal transcription software tools: Trint, OTranscribe, the FTW Transcriber, Express Scribe, and Inqscribe.
- FIVE EFFECTIVE TIPS TO TRANSCRIBE A PODCAST ACCURATELY
Podcasts have become one of the most effective marketing tools. These self-contained online presentations can be used to educate and spread information to a wide audience. Including a transcript of your podcast along with each episode on the same web page will make your podcast episodes accessible to everyone. This blog provides useful tips to ensure accurate podcast transcription.
- SIX VIDEO CONFERENCING TRENDS FOR 2021
Video conferencing is a professional, cost-effective tool that can enhance employee productivity, help brand building, and enhance customer service. This blog discusses trends that industry experts say will shape video conferencing in the coming months. These trends include increased adoption along with rapid growth, video and audio quality, an increased focus on security and privacy.
- HOW MARKET RESEARCH TRANSCRIPTION IS SIGNIFICANT FOR BUSINESSES
Market research involves gathering, analyzing and interpreting data about markets, products, services, customers and competitors to make informed business decisions. It helps business organizations keep up with the latest market trends, reach the target audience, and gain a competitive advantage. Transcripts serve as analytical tools for market researchers, making it easier for them to process, analyze and compare the results. This blog discusses the advantages of market research transcription.
- MAJOR TRENDS LAW FIRMS CAN EXPECT IN 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic has created challenges for all industries including the legal sector. Our legal transcription company keeps track of the trends impacting the legal sector. Understanding these trends can help law firms overcome their challenges and become more productive and efficient.
- DICTATION BEST PRACTICES TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LEGAL DOCUMENTATION
Many lawyers are now using dictation software in combination with human input from a legal transcription company to prepare both simple and complex documents. Dictation plays a key role in ensuring high quality, timely documentation and so lawyers need to hone their dictation skills. This blog discusses dictation best practices that can improve the quality of legal documentation.
- BUSINESS TRANSCRIPTION – IS THE MARKET GROWING?
Business transcription services help companies document audio or video recordings of interviews, presentations, webinars, seminars, workshops, meeting notes, conferences and more for commercial or professional purposes. This blog discusses predictions for the global business transcription market made by Absolute Market Insights.
- 8 REASONS WHY LISTENING TO PODCASTS WITH TRANSCRIPTS IMPROVE YOUR ENGLISH
Listening to podcasts with transcripts can help you learn English. Learning with transcripts and subtitles can improve English listening comprehension, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading speed, and more.
- BENEFITS OF RECORDING AND TRANSCRIBING CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS
Recording and transcribing customer service calls is important to improve the customer experience. It also provides businesses with a better understanding of their audience. It also helps track and improve the performance of their customer service teams. Expert transcriptionists can provide top-quality voice-to-text conversion of important and sensitive customer support calls.
- WHAT ARE THE 6 TYPES OF FOCUS GROUPS?
Focus groups are a group of individuals who share similar characteristics or common interests in certain products, services, or concepts. Hosting a focus group discussion is a valuable qualitative research method. This blog discusses six types of focus groups such as single, two-way, dual moderator, duelling moderator, respondent moderator and remote/online focus groups.
To browse our blog archive, click here! Stay tuned for more informational content in 2022!
A job interview is an important component of the hiring process in an organization. The main purpose of conducting a job interview is to understand what the candidate can do for the company, assess whether his/her qualifications and career ambitions align with the position and figure out if both parties benefit from the hire.
Therefore, analyzing the conversation during the interview thoroughly is important to choose the right candidate for the organization. The best way to scrutinize an interview is by transcribing it into an interview transcript. Interview transcription refers to the process of converting the interview into an accurate text format. A reliable interview transcript allows you to return to it time and again to make sure that you have an accurate record of the information you need to choose the right candidate.
Today, a job interview is not just a face-to-face meeting, it could be a phone call interview or a video interview too. Interviews over the phone or via a videoconference are useful if the candidate is able to travel only after being offered the job, or if he or she is willing to perform the assigned duties remotely.
Transcribing these interviews provide accurate records of everything that was discussed during the interview. You can utilize a good business transcription service to obtain error-free interview transcripts, which help businesses in the following ways in the recruitment process.
- Gather all vital details: When important points are jotted down manually during an interview, you are likely to miss vital points and it is difficult to recall all missed information after the interview. But by recording the interview and transcribing it, all key points are converted into accurate interview transcripts that can be reviewed later at your convenience. This also allows the interviewer to focus more on the interview instead of writing down notes and getting distracted.
- Allows others to access the interview notes: The recruitment process involves different sets of people at every stage. So, transcribing the interview into a transcript allows you to email copies to all people involved in the hiring process.
- Saves time: The hiring process can be very daunting, but with interview transcription, you can have any time access to all important information about the candidate. This helps the recruiting panel to go through every detail about the interaction and hire the right person as quickly as possible.
- Proper documentation of the interview: Transcripts of the interview can be considered as a reference that allows the interviewer to have a detailed examination of the events of the entire interaction. Having transcripts also helps the HR department to look at the choice of words the candidate has used while interacting and analyze them to find out their suitability. The interviewer can better understand the interaction, and pick the best fit for the organization.
- Look for any discrepancies in the candidate’s resume: Most of the time, employers ask candidates to recount their skills just to check whether the applicant’s answers match with the information provided on their resumes. Sometimes there may be deviations or differences between the answers they give verbally and the answers listed in the resume. But with an accurate interview transcript, it becomes easier for HR managers to check the answers and find out if there are any discrepancies.
- Streamline the interview process: Having an accurate transcript of the job interview is an opportunity for HR managers also to reflect on the questions that they had asked. It helps to find out which questions are important, and which ones can be replaced or eliminated.
- No need for a second or third round of the interview: Accurate transcription of job interviews helps to avoid the need for conducting a second or third round of the interview. The others in the interview panel can examine the transcripts thoroughly and make a final decision about who should be appointed. Similarly, if there is more than one potential candidate, then the transcript of each candidate’s interview can be scrutinized and cross-referred to appoint the right candidate.
- Makes video interviews easy: Remote working has now become very popular since the breakout of the pandemic. So, in such cases, video interviews can be conducted for recruitment. These video interviews can be transcribed so that it becomes easier for HR managers to go through each transcript and make a decision.
Earlier, when hiring new recruits, interviewers or ascribe would jot down the important points discussed during the interview. However, this process is a challenge because it could lead to the loss of vital data or responses from the interviewee.
The easier process is to have the interview recorded and transcribed at a later stage so that a perusal of the transcript brings up everything discussed between the interviewers and the candidates. Preparation of a good interview transcript demands patience, listening skills, and careful editing and proofreading skills on the part of the transcriptionist.
The best alternative today is transcribing the interview with the help of a business transcription company. You can get error-free transcripts that help the hiring managers in the recruitment process and also save time. The benefits provided by interview transcription are many, as seen from the above discussion. Accurate transcripts help to make any interview assessment process easy for the hiring personnel in an organization.
Businesses choosing to utilize the services of digital transcription agencies must understand the different transcription formats as well as the different naming conventions they need to identify the format that is best for their organization. Also, businesses can think about the right, constructive use of interview transcripts which will ensure successful forward movement.
In the digital age, you need to get maximum exposure for your content in audio and video format. An online transcription company can provide the solution by capturing these recordings in as accurate text files that can be used for various purposes and shared widely online. Professional transcription services are extensively used in the legal, medical, corporate and educational sectors and for market research, conferences, meetings, and keynote speeches. Video production firms, podcasters, entrepreneurs, content strategists, authors, publicity coaches, marketing consultants, freelance writers, and SEO experts also benefit from video to text transcription solutions.
Transcriptionists in reliable business transcription companies adhere to best practices to meet client goals. Let’s take a look at 5 useful hacks that experts use to maximize transcription productivity.
- Understand client requirements: A reliable transcriptionist would have a clear idea about the client’s specific requirements before undertaking the work. This will save time that will go into making corrections at the end of the project. Professionals will review and meet client needs with regard to formatting and type of transcription (verbatim or non-verbatim, etc), template, font and text style, margins, headers, file names, and time codes. They will also prioritize urgent files.
- Focus on quality over quantity: A professional would aim to deliver an accurate transcript, prioritizing quality over quantity. Only the words that are spoken in the audio would be included and for verbatim transcripts, all words heard would be typed as they are. These include conjunctions, filler words and inconspicuous sounds that can be heard. Only type the words that are spoken in the audio file. Phrases or words that are not understood are tagged appropriately according to the company’s guidelines. Time is also important – trained transcriptionist would take about an hour to transcribe 15 minutes of standard quality audio and review the job at hand constantly to meet time goals. However, the focus would be on producing an error-free, logical document. They would follow best practices such as and doing a spell-check after completing the transcript.
- Have the right tools in place: Professionals will have the right software and hardware in place to perform transcription. This includes special software for video transcription that allows audio playback using just the keyboard or foot pedal, Word expander programs to increase your typing speed, and noise-canceling headphones, speech recognition software. In addition, professionals also use custom keyboard shortcuts and macros and grammar checking tools, and have extensive experiencing researching online to find what they need to deliver quality work.
- Proofreading: Though experts don’t type so fast that accuracy is compromised, proofreading the typed document is important. Business transcription companies have stringent quality checks in place. All transcripts are carefully checked to identify and correct grammatical errors, typos, missing/incorrect words, and other textual mistakes. Their QA team will also ensure that the document is formatted to meet client specifications including addition of timestamps and speaker labels.
- Pay attention to ergonomics: Delivering quality transcription work also means having an ergonomic workspace and taking regular breaks. This includes having the computer monitor placed on a sit-stand desk at least 20 inches from the eyes, an ergonomic keyboard and mouse that are positioned correctly, an adjustable chair absolutely that provides adequate lumbar support. The chair should have a solid base with wheels so that it can be easily moved into different positions. Good lighting is also an important feature of an ergonomic workspace.
Transcripts undoubtedly offer many benefits for businesses. Social media marketing, podcasts, and video marketing are critical to a digital marketing and SEO campaign. Audio transcription and captioning improves your online presence by making sure that your videos and podcasts are seen by your target audience. Videos with transcripts show up higher in SEO rankings, and viewers can also refer to the transcript for review after watching.
Regardless of your industry or field of work, choosing the right service provider is essential for the best results. Consider the following to make the right choice:
- Transcription is performed by a human and not computer generated. Computer-generated transcripts have a high error rate.
- The provider can handle your audio file. Experts can work with any type of audio/video file – MP3, MP4,WAV, G2; 3GP; ASF; AVI; DivX; DV; FLV; M4V; MKV; MOV; MP4; MPEG; VOB and WMV.
- The company is well-equipped to deliver your accurate transcripts to meet your deadlines.
- The work will be done by a transcriptionist with expertise in your field. For e.g., legal transcriptionists are knowledgeable about legal jargon and court proceedings and these qualities are needed to produce a professional transcript.
By partnering with an experienced online transcription company, you would be assured of good results to achieve your business goals.
Remote work is here to stay and as the pandemic eases, many offices have switched to a hybrid mode – a blend of remote and on-site work. It’s only natural that hybrid meetings will become a permanent practice to ensure everyone stays connected. Supported by advanced technology and meeting transcription services, this combination of in-person and remote participants can drive teamwork, cooperation and decision-making in an organization. However, hybrid meetings come with their own unique set of challenges. The success of this meeting model largely depends on ensuring inclusive communication.
Hybrid meetings are not new, and organizations with remote teams have been holding them for many years. But now, far more companies are expected to adopt the hybrid workforce model. According to a McKinsey survey, up to 90% of organizations will implement some combination of remote and on-site work as COVID restrictions ease. So hybrid meetings are here to stay and it’s essential for companies to tackle associated challenges to ensure connection and full participation and make them effective. Let’s take a look at – best practices to make hybrid meetings work.
- Invest in good audio-visual equipment: Investing in the right equipment is the first requirement when it comes to conducting a hybrid meeting. The platform you choose should support your hybrid meeting plans and suit your space. For instance, a large meeting room and a small one will have different tech requirements. If your meeting space is large, have quality microphones set up throughout the room as excellent audio is critical for participants to hear the conversation clearly. Otherwise, they would end up feeling ignored and left out or have to ask the speaker to repeat what was said, which can be very frustrating. While participants need to be able to see the speaker, hearing what’s being said is more important. There are many advanced options and you should examine available technology upgrades that can help make your team’s experience more inclusive and effective. And don’t forget to test your technology in advance.
- Appoint a facilitator: For larger meetings, experts recommend having a facilitator or assistant in the physical meeting space to keep the conversation on track. The facilitator would have to see that the voices of both remote and in-room participants are heard. Importantly, a facilitator would need to ensure that remote participants are in the meeting, engaged and not interrupted or overlooked when they are speaking. The assistant should also be experienced in handling the online meeting platform and hardware in the room. Advanced platforms like Zoom come with features like hand raising, anonymous polling and chat, among others, which make meetings more systematic and more productive. The facilitator can encourage the use of these features to promote equal participation.
- Make sure remote participants have a forceful presence: Give each remote participant a noticeable in-room presence. This can be done by setting up additional monitors on either side of the meeting room showing life-size panes of the remote participants, says a Harvard Business Review article. This can act as a reminder to include them in the conversation. If some people don’t want to be seen, display their photos to remind all participants that they are present.
- Use chat, polls and Q&A: Enabling the chat functionality is a great way to keep virtual participants engaged. Chat allows real-time interactions with the speakers, peer-to-peer comments, learning, sharing of links, and more. In-person participants can be allowed to use a secondary device like their smartphone or laptop to engage in chat so that it won’t be disruptive, says the Institute for Corporate Productivity (i4cp). With the poll feature, speakers can ask pre-planned, uniform questions with single or multiple choice answer options. Q&A sessions are another great way to foster participation. Zoom features Q&A module is structured to allow participants to ask questions. Whatever tools and techniques you adopt, make sure they can maximize interaction between remote and in-room participants.
- Maintain etiquette: Right from the planning stage to ending the session, follow the etiquette for a hybrid meeting.
- Set the agenda, explain the purpose, and invite participants to submit questions/discussion points
- Know who is attending and have participants introduce themselves and turn on the schedule
- Enforce punctuality so that everyone sticks to the schedule
- Outline discussion topics and outcomes to keep people focused
- Ask the facilitator to check in on remote attendees by name to ask if they have something to contribute
- Make sure participants mute themselves when not speaking and use the raise their hand if they wish to speak. Meeting technology is designed to support this.
- Educate remote employees about using headsets, earbuds, etc.
- Be patient if someone’s tech fails
After the meeting, distribute notes. A business transcription company can provide you with accurate audio to text documentation of the session that includes key points, decisions made, and next actions people need to take. Send these out without delay. Invite additional comments for submission by the end of the day so that they can be included in the next steps. Assess any challenges faced and take steps to tackle them before your next hybrid meeting.
Businesses today rely on transcription services with the objective of improving productivity and efficiency, and to gain a competitive advantage. Timely transcription of audio and video recordings of their business interactions into text format with the help of business transcription services enables businesses to have easy and anytime access to the documents they need. Professionally transcribed documents record all important discussions and decisions, and saves you from remembering or debating over trivial issues. Transcripts provide an accurate, digital indexing of meetings, interviews and other interactions, and are searchable. These accurate transcripts can be also used to draft business letters and reports that can be shared among your employees, clients, customers and shareholders. All types of business entities, including legal offices can benefit from flawless transcription of various important recordings.
How Businesses Use Transcription Service
- Audio and Video Transcription: Businesses generate several audio and video recordings of presentations, conference calls, business events, training sessions etc. All these recordings may have critical data that can be converted into text format.
- Market Research Transcription: This refers to transcription of audio gathered in the course of market research that can be converted into textual version. It helps to document useful insights like customer feedback, trend analysis, and market condition that helps business owners to take effective decisions.
- Podcast Transcription: Podcasts are a convenient way to reach out to a larger audience. These podcasts can be transcribed accurately and the transcripts can be used as content to drive more traffic to your website, landing page blogs etc. Having transcripts of your podcasts helps to improve its visibility in search results so that more people can access them.
- Meeting Transcription: Businesses conduct several meetings both offline and online and crucial financial marketing information is exchanged and discussed during these meetings. Such information is required to adopt new competitive business strategies and decisions. Meeting transcripts provide a written record of everything that was discussed and these can be accessed for future reference at any time.
Why Businesses Should Use Transcription Services
Transcribing business interactions helps to record, store, and share a log of everything that happened during the event or interaction. A major advantage of using professional transcription service is that the speed, efficiency and eye for detail of a trained transcriptionist are practically unmatched. The following are some important reasons why businesses should hire transcription services.
- Better Involvement and Concentration of Participants in Business Interactions: Business interactions like meetings, video meetings, and conference calls involve many people communicating with each other. These interactions are important and total involvement from all the participants is essential. Taking down meeting notes can be a distraction for the participant. So, it makes sense to hire a reliable transcription service provider that will carry out the transcription task flawlessly.
- Helps to Make your Podcasts, Videos and Audios more Inclusive: There may be hearing-impaired people working in your company, or there may be people who are hard of hearing among your partners or stakeholders of your business. Transcribing videos, audios or presentations about your business growth, employee training sessions etc. allows hearing impaired people to be informed about the decisions made in a timely manner. Transcribing podcasts, and videos about product tutorials allows customers with hearing disability to know about your business and your products and services. Giving a textual version of business interactions, or podcasts or videos also show your respect and concern about hearing impaired people.
- For Good SEO: Audios, videos, podcasts about new product launch, services, business events, customer experience, market research etc. can be converted into text and then into content for your website. It saves the digital marketing team’s efforts and time by providing all the needed information to them in a documented format. When the transcripts are repurposed as good articles or blogs, or other form of content, it would help improve the SEO of your website or public page on social networks with first- hand information.
Case Study to Consider
Law firms and legal offices for instance, require transcription service for the following:
- General correspondence
- Court proceedings
- Legal pleadings
- Sworn statements
- Public hearings
These audio recordings may be in diverse formats such as Digital Audio Files (.wav, .wma, .mp3, .dss, .dvf), Digital Video Files (.wmv, .mpeg, .mov, .avi), DVDs, Audio CDs, cassette tapes and micro cassette tapes.
Our company, Managed Outsource Solutions provides value-added transcription service to legal entities among other business organizations that assist them in streamlining their functioning and growing their business. Read one such example here, where we assisted a reputable law office which handles cases related to family law, personal injury, criminal defense, business law, civil rights litigation, and other areas for Hamblen County, Tennessee residents and the surrounding areas.
Conferences, meetings on Zoom/Google Meet/Microsoft Teams, business events etc. can be transcribed immediately for convenience and ease of use. By outsourcing to providers of business transcription services, businesses can document the valuable insights in the various recordings that are necessary to improve the quality and speed of business decisions, and make better use of time to focus on underlying organizational dynamics, mitigate risk and thereby boost business growth. Businesses can restructure the transcripts of podcasts, webinars and videos into content for eBooks, and websites. With the right SEO strategies, the visibility of these content forms can be increased, and thereby also increase traffic to your website.
Online meetings took center stage ever since offices across the world started working from home. While many companies are opening up their pre-pandemic office spaces, a hybrid model is expected to hold sway, with a proportion of employees continuing to work from home. Virtual meetings supported by business transcription services will hold teams together, allowing them to collaborate seamlessly regardless of their location.
Let’s take at a look at the different types of virtual meetings that are helping businesses stay connected:
- Conference Calls – Conference call software platforms are designed to help you hold group teleconferences. The call can involve as few as three people and is ideal to connect with partners, remote teams, multiple offices, and clients. A voice-only conference room can be set up easily within minutes if there is a business urgent issue to resolve or when a matter needs immediate attention. Today, software platforms with advanced video capabilities are the more popular option. With an internet connection or dial-in via phone, you can join a video conference from anywhere. In addition to allowing participants to see each other via screens, video conferencing platforms allow you to share screens in real time and record your conferences, which can be later converted into accurate text with the help of a meeting transcription service provider. They also offer file sharing, whiteboard-style collaboration, annotation, and virtual assistant features. Best-in-class video conferencing options include Zoom, Skype, GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams, FaceTime, Cisco WebEx Business, Google Hangouts, and Uber Conference. With their simplicity, high accessibility, and advanced features, these platforms allow for easy collaboration, improve efficiency, and drive productivity.
- Instant Messaging (IM): Once used only for personal purposes, IM is now a useful, cost-effective business communication tool. This internet based service is ideal for both internal and external office collaboration. It can be used from phones, computers, in the office, or in the home. While it takes time to communicate via email, IM discuss matters via texts in real-time. With IM, you can quickly respond to clients and get their replies/feedback fast. Also, unlike IM, email can clutter your inbox. IM also has an edge over phone conversations where words can be misinterpreted. IM is useful when members have a strong, difficult-to-understand accent and are trying to communicate from a noisy environment. Most IM platforms save chats so that they can be referenced later. Top IM options include Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, WeChat, and Messenger.
- Web Conferencing: This is the ideal virtual option for presentations, e-learning, and meetings to simply share information and don’t need active collaboration. A company would use web conferencing to provide a quarterly business-wide update. Participants are provided a link to web conference which opens up on a web browser, and they can join it on their phone, tablet, or computer. Web conferences can include from 10 to hundreds or more participants from across the globe.
Unlike a video conference that is a synchronous form of communication where participants see each other as they hold discussions in real-time, web conferences can be asynchronous where responses do not happen in real-time. Ring Central explains how a web conference differs from a video conference: “Think of web conferencing vs video conferencing as a monologue vs dialogue. With web conferencing, one person presents on a topic to any number of participants. They might take questions as they go, but it isn’t a collaborative session. Video conferencing is better for generative conversations, with teammates exchanging ideas face to face in real time”. So in asynchronous web conference collaboration, discussions are ongoing but employees do not respond immediately. They can think about an issue and express their views and share knowledge later via email, news feeds, and channel discussions. Asynchronous web conferences allow remote workers in other time zones to participate in the ongoing dialogue.
- Webcasts: Webcasting involves broadcasting video or audio feeds over the internet. Companies use webcasts to host online events and reach an audience in various locations and countries across the world. Events hosted by webcasts include training, investor relations, brand awareness, corporate communication on important updates and information about the business, human resources, and more.
Here are five types of business meetings that can be held on a remote basis:
- Project Meetings – Video conferencing allows for robust remote project management, which involves various tasks from resource planning and progress tracking to task management, stakeholder expectation management, and project delivery. Remote meetings are held to determine the current status of an ongoing project. Online platforms allow every team member to provide insight and discuss existing challenges.
- Board Meetings: Board meetings are conducted at specific intervals to discuss important policy issues, evaluate performance, execute the board’s legal business, and take decisions on further actions. Virtual platforms allow the board’s decision-makers to participate from their home, office or other convenient location. With their interactive features, video conferencing allows continuous discussions in real-time.
- Annual General Meetings (AGM): This is a yearly meeting of the company’s directors and shareholders. With their advanced features, virtual platforms allow participants to engage seamlessly: directors can present the annual report of the company’s performance and shareholders can vote on current issues as well as appointments to the board of directors.
- Brainstorming Sessions: Virtual platforms are great for brainstorming events or innovation meetings. Teams can be provided with resources such as slides and instruction sheets which can keep everyone on the same page. Participants can express their ideas on online white boards and other shared tools.
- Breakout Sessions: Breakout sessions or breakout meetings are a workshop-type group activity that facilitate earning, polishing or sharing skills, discussions on common issues, and exploring ideas. They are short breaks from the conference agenda and often involve a participatory element that builds engagement and recaptures the audience’s attention. Breakout sessions can be easily organized on virtual platforms, allowing attendees to share ideas using a variety of tools.
Regardless of the type of meeting, converting the recording into easily readable text format is essential to increase engagement with the content and preserve it for future reference. Using professional audio transcription services is the best way to do this.