Podcasting is a prominent media format. Most Americans are familiar with podcasting and 57% listened to a podcast in 2020, according to a study by Edison Research and Triton Digital. With the number of listeners continuing to grow, podcasts along with podcast transcription have emerged as a powerful business tool to reach clients and prospects and build a following. To get the most out of this medium, you need to know how to use it effectively. Let’s look at how you can use podcasting to grow your business.
- Discuss Recent News and Trending Topics: Podcasts are a great way to discuss the most recent news and hot topics with your niche audience. The Investopedia Express, for instance, provides information about the global economy and provides the latest financial news updates. Shopify’s TGIM features a variety of origin stories on entrepreneurship and showcases experiences and insights from those who have “been there and done that. So if you are looking to improve your small business podcast, choose hot topics. Examples of trending subjects include: how to start and run a startup, how to use online marketing to grow a business or the value of social media for businesses, and so on.
- Create Podcasts to Complement your Blogs: Many successful businesses are using blogs and podcasts together to be found online. Blogs are text content and podcasts are audio content, and the best way to use them in tandem is to ensure that the content focuses on keywords to boost your SEO. Choose blogs that are frequently read, commented on, and shared through social media. The podcast transcripts should be posted with timestamps of your episodes on your blog. You can also post podcasts and blogs with the same theme. If the podcast discusses a specific topic, you can link it to the blog to go into details that are not on the audio. Another way to correlate podcasts and blogs is to use podcasts to interview industry experts and get their views on the blog topic.
- Position Yourself as an Industry Expert: This can be done in two ways: being a guest on podcasts or by hosting your own podcast. If you want to be considered as a potential guest on a top-ranked show, write to the host about your experience in the field. If you appear on podcasts frequently and showcase your industry expertise it will work wonders and help you build your reputation and your brand. You can tell listeners to reach out to you to learn more about specific topics or how you be of assistance to them.
- Use Podcasts for Brand Building: Extending your brand is an important aspect of growing your business. Creating branded podcasts can build trust and credibility for your brand, extend audience reach, and expand customer engagement. Influencer marketing strategies are leveraging the power of podcasts to provide easy to consume content and connect followers and brands through reliable messages. “The Sauce” and “2 minutes of Zen” are two widely applauded branded podcasts. In “The Sauce”, McDonald’s investigative podcast, the company looks into the controversy and outcome that surrounded the Szechuan sauce’s initial release. Toothpaste brand Zendium’s podcast “2 minutes of Zen” is applauded for its creativity – it provides quick and simple wellness hacks you can do as you brush your teeth.
- Build a Strong Community Around Your Podcast: Having a dedicated following of listeners is good, but having a community around your podcast is crucial to grow your business. Creating a community will allow your audience access to you and also enable them to interact with each other. Your podcast community can be built on a website or on social media channels. Today, many businesses are experimenting with social audio – the integration of social media into an audio experience – to improve audience engagement by communicating directly among themselves or with the podcast host on topics that they want to explore further or are interested in.
- Use Podcast Directories: Using podcast directories can help you get more listeners. People find businesses by searching a podcast directory for a specific topic. Top directories that widely distribute podcasts include: Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher, Spotify and Audioboom. Self-publishing podcast directories like YouTube, Facebook and Instagram allow you to share video formats like snippets of podcasts to gain more reach and influence your existing social media followers.
Podcasts are an ideal way to provide information about new products as well as information about your company and the industry at large. When you incorporate podcasting into your marketing plan, make sure to transcribe the audio content. Podcast transcription services ensure quality written content of everything discussed in the podcast so that it can be archived for future reference. Transcripts can be turned into blogs and social media posts that can boost your SEO. Audio transcription also ensures that the podcast content is available to the hearing impaired.