Interview transcription contributes a lot to qualitative research. Qualitative research often relies on interviewees to present their opinions and contributions to the research. As you know, qualitative research has immense scope in various industries including business, market research, social sciences, etc. It aims to acquire a better understanding of a specific organization or event rather than looking at a large sample of a population. Qualitative research collects data by observing peopleâ€™s behavior in their environment.
Interviews in Qualitative Research
In qualitative social research, interviews play a crucial role. They donâ€™t need to be conducted as face-to-face conversations. Telephone, chat room talk, or e-mail communication can be used for interviews as well. Of course, there is also the option of open discussion where the thoughts and inputs of the interviewee are brought out openly.
Ideas for Publishing Interviews
There is a host of options available for publishing the interviews as part of qualitative social research. Depending on the audience, you can publish the interviews in the original format of how they were conducted, or an edited version. The edited version could be:
- A comprehensively changed version where you compose the text based on the recorded interview, or
- You just edit some mutterings or unwanted words, phrases or noise
Interview transcription by a reliable and experienced transcription outsourcing company can ensure the accurate transcripts of the interview sessions for publication.
Providing Background Information of the Interview
Besides publishing the interview, the interviewer can help readers by providing some additional background information about the circumstances of the interview and the interviewee:
- Information regarding any achievements or awards earned by the interviewee, the contribution made by the interviewee towards qualitative research, etc can give a clearer picture to people to help them appreciate the interview better.
- Information about the circumstances necessitating the interview including the first meeting the interviewer had with the interviewee would be also helpful. There could be many situations that eventually led to the interview being decided and taking place.
- The method used for the interview could also be mentioned along with the place and time of the interview. This would help the readers to better understand the context.
While publishing the interview, photos of the interview session or photos of interviewee and interviewer can be published along with the audio or video of interview session. The interviews need to delve into the variety and richness of qualitative research and how the interviewee has contributed to develop this research tradition.
Efficient interview transcription facilitates better qualitative research, since interviews are the key to getting information about ideas and also because these conversations make it easier to build links between researchers and the way they conduct their research and its outcome.