At one time, analogue recording systems were the sole option for recording interviews, seminars, focus groups, conferences, and discussions. It was very well accepted despite its many drawbacks due to non-availability of a better option. However, things are different today with digital recorders entering the scene. It’s worth looking at how digital transcription has greatly enhanced workflow in all types of organizations compared to the days when analog recorders were the only choice.
- Durability is an important benefit of digitally recorded audio files. Cassettes can break and tapes can become twisted and mangled. The transcripts can be made at a later stage once the recording is done on the digital recorder. The quality of the digital audio files can be retained for a long period of time.
- Tapes have a length of just 60 or 90 minutes. If you run out of room on a digital recorder, all you have to do is the files to your computer and delete them from the recorder. With conference calls and interviews and business calls and meetings sometimes, time can be a factor and space is an absolute necessity. Digital recorders can come with multiple hard drive space that allow for a full recording.
- It is easy to add in precise time stamps and time codes with the digital recorder. Adding the time in minutes and seconds into a transcript at prescribed intervals provides an indication of where the text can be found in the audio or video. This is very useful when subtitling videos, panel discussions, and legal transcription.
- The exchange of files between the client and the transcription company are much easier when the audio files are in digital format. The files can be uploaded to a secure uploading service on the internet from anywhere which provides the client with a great deal of flexibility.
- Portability is another great advantage with a digital recorder. Unlike a tape recorder, modern digital recorders are small and compact and can be easily carried around, allowing the client to dictate from anywhere.
Even with all the advantages that digital transcription offers, it is mandatory to ensure quality in recording for accurate transcripts. To maximize audio quality, background noise is kept to a minimum and a functioning microphone is used, digital recording can provide superb results. Leading transcription companies offer top quality digital recorders free of cost to clients with volume transcription requirements.